CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1183171
Date first listed:
09-Dec-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183171.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2020 at 21:54:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Suffolk
District:
Mid Suffolk (District Authority)
Parish:
Mickfield
National Grid Reference:
TM 13478 61732

Details

MICKFIELD TM 16 SW 2/144 Church of St. Andrew - 9-12-55 - I

Redundant parish church. Medieval, with major phases of early C14 and early C16. Nave, chancel and south-west tower/porch. Random flint rubble with freestone dressings. Chancel roof plaintiled. Nave roof low pitched and leaded. Parapet gables; the east chancel gable has grotesque carved corbels possible of early C14. Early C14 tower has a deeply-chamfered doorway and two cusped porch side windows; also of early C14 is the moulded inner doorway. The door is original and has a sanctuary ring with a grotesque boss. Other C14 moulded doorways, to north of nave, and to south of chancel (the latter has grotesque drips to the hoodmould). Mediaeval camberbeam roof to nave (possibly late C14, but restored in C19): in 3 bays with chamfered arch braces to each tiebeam, the wallpieces supported by stone corbels with well-carved grotesques. Wide C14 chancel arch with piers and moulded capitals. C14 stoup inside nave doorway. Various detail alterations of c.1500 or early C16: belfry windows with tracery now fragmentary, and tower parapet of red brick; 2-light windows to nave and chancel, some with restored tracery of C19; a cusped piscina in the chancel. Early C16 roof to chancel in 2 bays: arch- braced principals with bracing up to ridge, but entirely without collars. The arch-braces spring from wall-pieces whose lower sections are polygonal and have carved capitals; the cornice is moulded and embattled. Mid C14 octagonal limestone font with simple mouldings. Set of 6 benches of c.1500 now in chancel, with good poppyhead ends, some having animals or turrets attached to the buttresses. 9 marble floor slabs in chancel: one to Peter Preston (1616), wife Thomasin (1617) and son Peter (1631) has had its brass removed, another is dated 1675; the others C18. A slab in nave with brass to Frances Dade (1615); another of 1720. The building was in deteriorating condition at date of survey.

Listing NGR: TM1347861732

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
279395
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/14532/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Chris Durrant. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].