REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN, NOW KNOWN AS THE LUMLEY CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1183440
Date first listed:
28-Aug-1953
Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN, NOW KNOWN AS THE LUMLEY CHAPEL, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN, NOW KNOWN AS THE LUMLEY CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183440.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 13:44:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
REMAINS OF OLD CHURCH OF ST DUNSTAN, NOW KNOWN AS THE LUMLEY CHAPEL, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Greater London Authority
District:
Sutton (London Borough)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 24299 63900

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 4430 CHEAM Remains of Old Church of St Dunstan, now known as The Lumley Chapel Tq 2463 NW 29/50 28.8.53. II* GV 2. The Chancel of the original church C12. Rubble stone with roughcast finish, gabled tile roof. South side has remains of C13 arcade now blocked, North side has blocked C12 round-headed windows. The East window is renewed Cl5. The interior has a fine late C16 moulded plaster ceiling of interlacing ribs rising from an ornamental cornice. The building contains a number of very important monuments and brasses which according to the Victoria County History include:- Monuments. Lord Lumley 1609; Joan Lady Lumley, late Cl6; Elizabeth Lady Lumley, early C17; Frances Peirson 1693; James Bovey 1695; and others and Brasses John Compton 1450 and Joan his wife 1458; William Wooddward 1459; Bartholomew Fromond 1579; Michael Denys 1578; Thomas Fromond 1513; Edmund Barret 1631; and others.

Nos 1 to 4 (consec) Church Road form a group with the Lychgate, with the Church of St Dunstan, with Lumley Chapel, with the boundary wall to former West Cheam Manor House, Church Farm Lane, and with Church Farm House, Springclose Lane.

Listing NGR: TQ2429963900

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
206711
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/00053/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Miss Patricia Philpott. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].