This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1183654



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Non Civil Parish

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 245129

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


ST J0HN'S COLLEGE 1. 1485 Canterbury Quadrangle SP 5106 NW 5/525E 12.1.54. 1 2. Built 1631-36 by Laud, originally in Headington stone and incorporating old library of 1596-8 in South range, the masons being, 1631-33, Richard Maude, Hugh Davis and Robert Smith and, 1633-36, John Jackson with Anthony Gore and Harry Acres, carvers. The whole refaced in Clipsham stone, 1922-36. On East and West sides is a loggia and elaborate centrepiece (possibly by Nicholas Stone), the statues being by Hubert le Suer. The pillars of Bletchingdon stone, 5 being replaced, 1905, in Portland stone. Major internal alteration 1970-1971. Garden front of the East Range on East has 5 oriels and fan-vaulted passageway; retains Headington stone with dressings renewed in Clipsham stone 1918. Upper floor has library fitted up 1838. 1st floor on West Range and West part of North Range forms President's Lodging.

Listing NGR: SP5132706623

Selected Sources

Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 34 Oxfordshire

National Grid Reference: SP5133206648


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183654 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 01:19:06.

End of official listing