This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1183714



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Rugby

District Type: District Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Oct-1949

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1976

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 308454

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


DUIICEORCE ROAD 1. 5397 (East Side) Chapel at Rugby School (Formerly listed in Lawrence Sheriff Street) SP 5074 NW 2/66 11.10.49.


2. 1872 by William Butterfield in red brick with stone dressings. Tall nave, chancel and wide transepts. Low narrow aisles rebuilt 1897. South-east tower has octagonal belfry with pyramidal roof. Interior with elaborate painted roof contains canopied stalls to west end, 1882 mosaic to east end apse, C16 stained glass from Normandy and Netherlands, C19 stained glass by Willement, Hardman and Morris. Monuments with effigies to Dr James 1824 by Chantry, Dr Wool 1833 by R Westmacott the Younger, Dr Arnold 1844 by John Thomas, Dean Stanley 1884 by Boehm. Many memorial tablets to famous Rugbeians, including Arthur Hugh Clough, Rupert Brooke, etc. Grated partly for historical interest.

The Chapel and War Memorial Chapel at Rugby School form a group with New and old Quad Buildings. School House and Doctor's Wall at Rugby School Lawrence Sheriff Street.

Listing NGR: SP5021574961

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SP 50214 74957


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183714 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Oct-2017 at 10:53:24.

End of official listing