Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183766.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 16:22:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 10523 58373


KINWARTON SP15NW 3/171 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 01/02/67


Church. C12, largely rebuilt c.1316 (VCH); turret C16 or C17. Restored 1850. Limestone and lias, rubble and irregular coursed stone. Old tile roofs; weatherboarded turret with pyramid shingle roof. Nave and chancel without structural division, west bell turret and south porch. 4 bays. South doorway c.1316 with chamfered 2-centred arch and ancient ribbed door with lattice framed back. Lias and weatherboard porch c.1850. Chancel has low clasping buttresses and C19 three-light east window. North wall has single buttress between easternmost windows. From east: 2-light square headed window with C14 jambs and C16 or C17 head (VCH); C13 lancet; trefoiled lancet c.1316 (VCH); C19 window of two lancets in place of a doorway. South wall: 2-light Decorated window; small priests door with arched head, blocked internally but retaining old ribbed door; oak framed 2-light window with cusped Y-tracery, probably C16 replacement of earlier stone window (VCH); C19 two-light window. West end has low diagonal buttresses and half-gable with bell turret replacing apex. C19 two-light window. Interior: one-bay chancel divided from nave by screen. C19 queen strut roof. 2 sedilia in south window recess have shafts with moulded capitals and bases, stilted arches and hood moulds. Nave has C15 wagon roof (VCH) with slightly higher ridge and 2 moulded tie beams. Framing supporting turret: massive tie beam on jowled posts and braces, with C19 reinforcing of curved braces forming an arch, with struts. Fittings: font, possibly c.1316 but largely re-cut, has cup bowl on later cylindrical stem. Board and batten lid with original staples and iron rod fastening, probably early C17 (VCH). Mid Cl9 pulpit, screen and pews. C18 three tier brass chandelier. Stained glass: chancel south window has early C14 glass in tracery. Mid C19 east window by O'Connor, north west and south west by Charles Gibbs (Buildings of England). Chancel north late C19, with mark of Keape and Tower. Late C15 alabaster carving of 'The Presentation of the Virgin' on nave north wall. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire III, pp,127-128; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.328-329; Kelly's Directory of Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire 1884, p.792).

Listing NGR: SP1052058370


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1945), 127-128
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 328-329
'Kellys Directory' in Birmingham Staffordshire and Warwickshire, (1884), 792


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07286/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].