BENT LEY MILL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1183859

Date first listed: 06-Apr-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 28-Oct-2003

Statutory Address: BENT LEY MILL, BENT LEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BENT LEY MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183859 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 09:25:13.

Location

Statutory Address: BENT LEY MILL, BENT LEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)

Parish: Meltham

National Grid Reference: SE 10968 11262

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details



1106/2/21 BENT LEY ROAD 28-OCT-03 MELTHAM (North side) Bent Ley Mill (Formerly listed as: HUDDERSFIELD ROAD MELTHAM OFFICE BLOCK TO BENT LEY SILK MILL) (Formerly listed as: BENT LEY ROAD MELTHAM BENT LEY MILL)

II Silk-throwing mill (raw silk) comprising warehouse and office block, attached shed and engine house with boiler house and separate chimney. 1840 for Charles Brook Coursed gritstone and ashlar outer walls, brick vaulted front range on cast-iron beams with parallel-sided flanges, hipped slate and part-glazed roofs, cast iron roof and supports in rear shed. Original 2-storey 7-bay office and warehouse block, 2 bays deep, the central three bays break forward under a pediment with a central clock face. Right return: an upper floor taking-in door, plain stone surround, altered late C20. Interior: the front office / warehouse range has a brick vaulted ground floor; central staircase and a stone fireplace in the SE room. Original wide arched openings into the rear shed from the 1840 office range and a narrow doorway into the shed from the central bay. First floor: S corner office with moulded ceiling cornice, 6-panel door, architraves to windows with panelled shutters, fireplace with plain stone surround and moulded shelf. Rear shed: 6 x 10 bays. Cast iron columns have moulded caps and slots for beams and arched open-work trusses carrying the north-light roof. The outside half-width bays have simpler trusses of tie, strut and principal form. I-section beams running the full length of the shed carry rain-water gutters; inverted T-section beams with inverted fish-bellied profiles carried line shafting, each truss drilled for bracket fixings. The SE wall has 5 doorways probably serving privies before late C19 additions. An ashlar block in the NE (back) wall marks the site of the power transmission shaft from the narrow beam-engine house surviving beyond. Also attached, the boiler house, NE of engine house, with freestanding octagonal-section tapering chimney to SE, cap removed and with iron banding. History; Charles Brook was a member of the family who built Meltham cotton mills. He developed the silk business in the 1830s and built this mill in 1840, recorded as 'Brook and Nephews, silk throwsters, Bentlee Mills'. Reference: J.Hughes, The History of the Township of Meltham, 1866.







Listing NGR: SE1096811262

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 340857

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Hughes, J , The History of the Township of Meltham, (1866)

End of official listing