THE TEMPLE IN WHITLEY PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1183892
Date first listed:
16-May-1984
Statutory Address:
THE TEMPLE IN WHITLEY PARK, LILEY LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183892.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2020 at 18:35:13.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE TEMPLE IN WHITLEY PARK, LILEY LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Kirklees (Metropolitan Authority)
Parish:
Kirkburton
National Grid Reference:
SE 20862 16949

Details

SE 11 NE LILEY LANE SE 2086 1694 Grange Moor

3/64 The Temple in Whitley Park II

Temple or belvedere (now ruined). Circa 1752-4. Attributed to James Paine. Ashlar, lined with coursed brickwork. Probable domed roof now gone. Octagonal structure within a square with set-back corners. Each side is pedimented with heavy moulded eaves cornice with blocking course. To three sides is a round arched window, and to the fourth side the doorway with shouldered architrave with chambranles, pulvinated frieze and cornice. Each opening is set in a round-arched recess. Moulded impost band. The interior is octagonal with the windows to 4 sides and a round-arched niche to each of the other 4 sides. Fragments of plasterwork still survive. The floor has fallen in. The lower level has a round-arched niche to four sides and a round- arched entrance.

D. Linstrum, West Yorkshire Architects & Architecture, 1978.

Listing NGR: SE2086216949

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
341178
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Linstrum, D, West Yorkshire Architects and Architecture, (1978)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 22 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/01637/19
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr A W Shaw. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].