CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW AND ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1183969
Date first listed:
17-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW AND ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW AND ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183969.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 03:52:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST BARTHOLOMEW AND ALL SAINTS, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wootton Bassett
National Grid Reference:
SU 06612 82516

Details

SU 08 SE WOOTTON BASSETT HIGH STREET (north west side)

11/123 Church of St Bartholomew and All Saints 17.1.55

II*

Anglican parish church. C14, C15 and much restored 1869 - 71 by G. E. Street. Coursed rubble limestone, stone slate roof. Two parallel naves and independently roofed north aisle. South porch. Chancel and Lady chapel, organ chamber, north vestry and west tower. Exterior: nave 3-light Perpendicular windows and parapet with many large gargoyles, all C15. Chancel 3-light window c1300 with intersecting tracery and matching windows of C19. South priest's door. Porch, C15, 2 storey, 2-light square headed window to parvise and sundial in gable. Tower: 3 stages, upper stages by Street, paired lancets, crenellated parapet and rounded stair tower on north. Slated pitched roof. Interior: 5-bay arcade, circular columns and capitals. South arcade C13 probably heightened, with chamfered west respond. Arches have hollow chamfers. North arcade similar but C19, when aisle added. Roofs: C16 over naves, panelled and painted, north aisle C19 arch-braced principal rafters. Chancel and Lady chapel, barrel and trussed rafter roofs, Porch has lierne quadripartite vault on corbels with skewed shields. Small stoup. Chancel encaustic tiles and choir stalls. Pulpit: C15, timber, buttressed with tracery. Altered C19 plinth and brass rail to steps. Font: C19 diapered tub, by Street, carved by Earp, on clustered short columns. Lectern: Brass, 1876. Rood stair to south nave arch and open timber screen between Lady chapel and chancel. Low stone screen to chancel. Reredos: 5 gabled bays, limestone, by Street, with marble relief of Adoration by Earp of Lambeth. Glass: East window of chancel, and of Lady Chapel 1871 by Hardman, depicting Tree of Jesse and Prophets. Organ: Vowles of Bristol 1871. In north aisle benefaction boards, Charles Pynner 1619 and two of c1680, round headed, recording gifts inter alia of crimson damask, the clock, and the Free School. In nave, west wall triptych of commandments. Brass chandelier 1782. Houselling bench c1700; 2 no stools also c 1700. C18 rectangular table with 22 twisted baluster legs. Monuments in base of tower: 8 marble wall tablets HENRY WILSON 1812, draped urn. MARY SMITH, 1813, pedimented. WILLIAM IND, 1825, urn. THOMAS MAYRISS 1825; ELIZABETH FREAK, 1841 by Reeves of Bath; Francis King, 1848, by Franklin; CHARLES MORETON HUNT 1855; and BARTHOLEMEW HORSELL 1851, Gothic. Sculpture: in parvise, fragment C10-Cll, winged biting dragon and ?tree of life. (Reference: Pevsner N., Buildings of England, Wiltshire 596-7.)

Listing NGR: SU0661282516

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
316805
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975), 596-597

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 15 May 2001
Reference: IOE01/04118/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Thatcher. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].