PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1183976
Date first listed:
26-Jan-1955
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK, SN6 8PY

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183976.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Feb-2020 at 11:49:47.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MARY, CHURCH WALK, SN6 8PY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Swindon (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Bishopstone
National Grid Reference:
SU 24365 83729

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 22/02/2017

SU 2483, 28/6

BISHOPSTONE, CHURCH WALK, Parish Church of St Mary

26.01.55

I

Heavily restored 1868 and 1883 (see rainwater heads). Mostly perpendicular in style with vestiges of Norman and Decorated periods. West tower, 3-bay aisled nave with stepped buttresses, lower 2-bay chancel with stepped diagonal buttresses. Built of random rubble and ashlar on moulded plinth. Lead roofs. Two and three-light square headed windows with labels and foiled heads. Two-light clerestory (possibly rebuilt 1883) to south. Quatrefoil parapet to aisles (of St Michael's Highworth). To north: aisle windows have set-back chamfer surrounds; north porch entrance appears circa 1200 and probably reset. In the chancel a very ornate, reset small Norman doorway with horizontal chevron ornament. East window of south aisle has early C14 reticulated tracery. Crenellated west tower with diagonal buttresses and three set offs above plinth level; angled stair turret to south-east. Gargoyles to cornice. Two-light and trefoil belfry windows. Clock to south. West door 1883 with usual Tudor arch trimmings and large 3-light perpendicular style window over.

INTERIOR: 3-bay 4-centred arcade, (one bay shorter to north for porch), undulating section to shafts. Organ over steep 4-centred chancel arch. C14 head stop reset to east of north arcade. Three C12 (probably) masks formerly on an order around a doorway reset above south door. Late Norman font with tongued scallops forming bowl on dog-tooth fillet; clustered shafts form the stem. The lectern, pulpit, parclose screens to east of aisles and to tower are good examples of Gothic (C19) carving. Marble tablet to Edith and Chris Willoughby (died 1673) with broken segmental pediment in chancel. Fragments of mediaeval stained glass. In the churchyard a number of C18 and early C19 headstones and a few early C19 chest tombs.

Listing NGR: SU2436683728

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
318194
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Feb 2001
Reference: IOE01/03489/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Colin Jones. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].