CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1183981
Date first listed:
18-Feb-1958
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WINTERSLOW ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1183981.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 23:02:07.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, WINTERSLOW ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Idmiston
National Grid Reference:
SU 19022 36500

Details

IDMISTON WINTERSLOW ROAD, Porton SU 13 NE 3/90 Church of St Nicholas 18.2.58 II

Anglican parish church. 1876-7, by J.L. Pearson. Flint with brick dressings. Tiled roofs. Nave, chancel with vestry at right angles, south porch. Nave has 2-light Decorated style windows, 3-light to east end of chancel. Short 3-light gable window to vestry. Mid wall string, stepping up under east and west windows. Gable crosses. Bellcote with double openings and crocketed gable over west end of nave. Porch has open trussed rafter roof. Boarded inner door. Interior: nave of 3 bays, with tie beams and facetted barrel vault. Walls rendered, with bowtell string at base of window embrasures Wide chancel arch. Chancel has panelled vault. Piscina on north wall, sedilia with nook shafts on south. Oak reredos. Fittings: font. C15 and reset. Octagonal bowl with trefoil headed panels, and varied fleurons below. Pulpit of oak on stone base. Sanctuary rail an oak pole on iron supports. Monuments: one wall tablet of 1840 by Soper of Sarum, and two C20 brasses. West window glass of 1893. C17 arm chair in sanctuary. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, Wiltshire)

Listing NGR: SU1902236500

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
319982
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01446/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].