CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1184227
Date first listed:
27-Feb-1950
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, WEST LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184227.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2020 at 02:22:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE EVANGELIST, WEST LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 27930 70992

Details

LONGBENTON WEST LANE (north side, off) NZ 27 SE Killingworth. 3/13 Church of St. John the 27.2.50 Evangelist. G.V. II Parish church. 1869 by E. Bassett Keeling. Sandstone, coursed and squared, with bands of red sandstone; rendered north nave wall. Welsh slate roof with stone copings. Nave and chancel with continuous shorter south aisle; 3-sided apse. West door in aisle has nook shafts and 2-centred arch under high pointed dripmould. 2-centred arches and red impost bands to cusped lancets, paired in clerestory; plate tracery to larger west and east windows. Crescents carved in coping of buttresses, clasping to nave and aisle. Interior: brick with ashlar dressings; rendered blind north arcade; ashlar lower section to chancel and plaster above. Scissor-braced roof. Stiff-leaf arcade capitals; bracketed shafts to moulded chancel arch and blind arch in north chancel wall. Priest's door under high pointed crocketed hood-mould. Stencilled decoration to chancel roof. Chancel floor of tiles and Frosterley marble contains brass memorial to first vicar, J. S. Blair, died 1890. Historical note: the crescent is the emblem of the Dukes of Northumberland.

Listing NGR: NZ2793070992

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303257
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01033/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].