CHURCH OF ST ALBAN

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1184308
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN, FRONT STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ALBAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184308.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 07-Apr-2020 at 14:25:41.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ALBAN, FRONT STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 32020 72518

Details

SEATON VALLEY (part) FRONT STREET (north side) NZ 37 SW Earsdon. 4/26 Church of St. Alban G.V. II Parish church. 1836-7 by John and Benjamin Green; 1889 chancel. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings. plinth and quoins; Welsh slate roof with stone gable copings. West tower; nave; chancel with north vestry and south porch. Early English style. Gothic-panelled double south door in tower under stepped lancet belfry openings offsets to set-back buttresses with spirelets on upper stages; central canopied pierced lancets to parapet. Buttressed, 6-bay nave and 2-bay chancel have lancets; 2-light sanctuary and 4-light east windows. Boarded porch door in 2-centred arch. Interior: plaster; gothic-traceried struts to bracketed queen-post roof, upper level ceiled. Banded quatrefoil columns support west gallery; 2-centred arch to north organ chamber. Glass: in east nave lancets: C16, possibly by Galyon Hone for Hampton Court: presented in 1874 by Lord Hastings; restored by L. C. Evetts in 1958: armorials of Henry VII and Henry VIII. Sources: L.C. Evetts "Sixteenth Century Heraldic Glass at Earsdon, Northumberland" Archaeologia Aeliana 4; XXXVII; 333-39

Listing NGR: NZ3202072518

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303270
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Evetts, L C, 'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Sixteenth Century Heraldic Glass at Earsdon Northumberland, , Vol. 37, (), 333-9

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00188/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].