Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184393.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 10:35:41.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:


ELLAND CHURCH STREET SE 108211 1 2/21 Church of St Mary 24.1.68 I

Church, mainly Cl3 and C14 with chancel arch c.118O, tower c.1490 and other additions and alterations. Nave, chancel, west tower embraced by aisles, south porch and vestry. Rubble and some ashlar with stone slate roofs. Chancel has late Cl5 windows with depressed arched heads. East window of 5-lights; the side windows of the chancel and east windows of the aisles are similar and of 3-lights. Otherwise most of the windows are flat headed and of 2-lights, mainly dating from W. H. Crossland's restoration of 1856, but the west window of the tower is of 3-lights with simple tracery. Tower is of 3 stages with diagonal buttresses and embattled parapet. The belfry windows are of 2-lights. South porch of 1696 with round arch and gable surmounted by reset sundial of 1648. C19 gates to porch. On nave gable is a weathered sanctus bellcote. The chancel has angle buttresses with goblets and gargoyles, and the angle buttresses at the east end of the aisles have the Savile Owl carved on an offset.

Interior: Chancel arch perhaps c.1180 (c.f. Kirkstall Abbey Church), but altered to a steeper angle. Nave arcade of 4 bays with octagonal piers. Nave has collar rafter roof. Chancel of 2 bays with Cl5 slightly cambered panelled ceiling with moulded ribs. Tower bay with semi-octagonal engaged piers with arch of 3 chamfers. The chancel aisles were originally built as chantry chapels dedicated to St Nicholas and St John.

Furnishings: the east window is high quality Cl5 work which depicts the life of the Virgin restored and slightly rearranged by William Wailes of Newcastle c.185O who also designed the west window in 1866. Parclose screens of Cl6 or early C17 of simple design with tracery at heads, and rood screen designer by Fellowes Prynne c.1920 in florid German Gothic. Plain octagonal font said to be of C17. 4 miserere seats are loose in the church. Monuments on walls to William Horton of Howroyd and Mary Horton c.1750 with good portrait medallion, others to the Thornhills of Fixby dating from 1669 to 1758, and to Northend Nicholas, 1818, by Walsh and Dunbar of Leeds. N. Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding', (revised 1979), p.192. L. Hamerton, 'Olde Eland' (Elland 1901), p.143. D. and A. Greenwood, 'St Mary's Church, Elland', (Huddersfield 1954) .

Listing NGR: SE1080521167


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Greenwood, D, Greenwood, A , St Mary's Church, Elland, (1954)
Hamerton, L , Olde Elland, (1901), 143
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 192


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Dec 2006
Reference: IOE01/15825/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].