Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184420.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 04:04:46.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 06998 23275


SOWERBY BRIDGE LONDON ROAD SE 0623-0723 (east side, off), Norland 13/109 Norland Hall 15.11.66 GV II Farmhouse. Dated 'IBT 1690' (John and Betty Taylor), restored and altered 1960s. Large blocks of coursed squared stone, coursed rubble to left return; stone slate roof. 2 storeys, 2 gabled bays. South-west (garden) front: central 2-storey gabled porch: cusped plinth with whorl decoration; moulded doorway with round-cornered soffit to monolithic lintel; above it a 1-over-3-light window with hoodmould and datestone over; shaped kneelers, moulded coping, ball finials (only bases survive on kneelers); gutter spout in angle with main range on right; chamfered lst-floor oculus in left return; inner stone benches and board door in moulded Tudor-arched surround with diamond on stop of left jamb. Main range: chamfered plinth; double-chamfered mullion windows. Left bay has an 8-light window with king mullion, continuous ground-floor dripmould and, above a 4-light transomed window with decoratively-stopped hoodmould. Right bay similar but ground -floor window has 3-lights made into a doorway, now blocked, the dripmould terminates in starred roundels and the 1st-floor hoodmould has heart-and-diamond stops. Kneelers, shaped coping, ball finials. Corniced external stack to left, 1960s external stack to right. Rear: rendered. 2 gabled bays, right one slightly set forward. Windows are single-chamfered. Left bay has doorway inserted to left of 2-light window with 3-light window above. Right bay has 2-light window (mullion removed) on left, 3-light flat-faced mullion window to right, and 3-light window above. Kneelers, coping. Eaves stack to ends. Left return: right part is gabled. The external stack is quoined and stepped; to its right is a lowered 2-light window with hoodmould. To left end a 3-light window with 2-light single- chamfered window above. Right return: to right of external stack wall is of 1960s rebuild. Interior: front left room has restored Tudor-arched moulded fireplace with central shield pendant dated 'ITB and cornice. Front right room has moulded, 1690' decoratively-stopped, Tudor-arched fireplace and imported C17 2-panel door with decorative heads to panels. The house was built by John Taylor as a residence for a younger son, also John. Taylor himself lived at the original Norland Hall, just to the west of this building, which was dismantled and exported in the early C20 (Kendall 1904, p.l0l and 1910). H P Kendall, "Ancient Halls of Norland", Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 2, 1904, pp.93-1ll. " H P Kendall, "Norland Hall", Halifax Antiquarian Society, Vol 8, 1911, pp.1-39.

Listing NGR: SE0699823275


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:




This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01262/27
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Mawer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].