Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184486.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Feb-2020 at 17:26:04.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Wiltshire (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SU 18055 35357


WINTERBOURNE A338, Winterbourne Gunner SU 13 NE (east side) 3/171 Church of St Mary the Virgin 18.2.58

Anglican parish church. C12-C13, c1687, 1810 restored 1886 and 1977. Flint with limestone dressings, tower rendered to exposed quoining, and whitewashed. Tiled roofs. Short late C12-early C13 nave, chancel, C12 tower at west end, and south porch erected after removal of south aisle. Entrance through reset chamfered arch to porch with moulded hood and block terminals. Two-light plate tracery windows to nave, C19, ogee headed lancet to south wall of chancel and an early C19 brick arched window. Late C19 east window. Chancel north wall rebuilt with brick banding 1810. Reset datestone in east wall 1687. Window head of Saxo-Norman type in north nave wall. Tower has north door and 3-iight west window. Bell openings ?C12 and early C14. Pyramidal tiled roof. Interior: Nave of 2 bays, late C12-early C13 arcade of chamfered arches on octagonal column and responds, blocked on outside face, apparently a late medieval reduction. C14 roof with arch braced trussed rafters and moulded central tie beam. Old plaster. Blocked north door. Chancel arch also simply chamfered on chamfered responds with bar stops. Chancel plastered -and ceiled, 1810, with simple cornice. Tower arch full width of tower. Fittings: Font, late C12-early C13, tub on turned shaft. Pulpit C19 panelled limestone, octagonal with steps from chancel. Elementary altar rails. C17 panelling to east wall of sanctuary. Paintings: St Christopher on north wall, removed. Black letter inscription from Luke XIII over chancel arch over earlier painting. Small painted area over pulpit. Monuments: In chancel, 7 wall monuments. North side, from east: a) White marble on grey. Framed and pedimented inscription to Jane Tanner, died 1849. b) Similar, on grey marble by Osmund of Sarum. To Frances Tanner, died 1823. c) Limestone monument. Cushioned inscription draped in curtaining, facing putto on apron, and acanthus crest. To Elizabeth Powell, died 1753. d) Plain white slab by Soper, to Edward Griffith and wife, died 1889. e) Alabaster tablet to Ethel Allan, died 1915. South side: f) Chaste white tablet on corniced black slab. To Rev Charles Coleman, died 1815. g) Corniced tablet on gabled grey marble, urn over, by Osmund, to Betty Westcott died 1834. In nave: north side: h) Similar to first but oval tablet, to William Cusse, died 1814. South side: i) Similar but cruder, by Soper, to Herbert Mauger. Two C19 painted commandment boards under tower. Furniture: Small oak chest in sanctuary, C17 with incised arcading. Small C18 oak box with two locks. (Ponting, C.E. in W.A.M. 36 (1909); Pevsner, Building of England, [WILTSHIRE)]

Listing NGR: SU1805635355


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N , The Buildings of England: Wiltshire, (1975)
'Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine' in Wiltshire Archaeological and Natural History Magazine, (1909), 36


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01446/12
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Brian Harvey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].