CLAY HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1184835
Date first listed:
24-Jan-1968
Statutory Address:
CLAY HOUSE, ROCHDALE ROAD

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1184835.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 02:47:03.

Location

Statutory Address:
CLAY HOUSE, ROCHDALE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 09748 21445

Details

ELLAND ROCHDALE ROAD (OFF) ilfl 091214 (north aide) 1/84 Clay House 24.1.68 II*

House now used as a museum, clinic, meeting hall and flat. C1650 for John Clay. Dressed stone to south front with finer ashlar to return wall of east wing and hammer-dressed to return wall of west wing and rear. Stone slate roof. Of unusual plan; it has a 4-roomed front with 4 identical gables; there are 2 entrances mullioned and transomed windows with king-mullion to both floors of 16 lights except the thin bay which has 26-light window to main hall or housebody, with 20-light window over. Cross windows over each doorway which have cambered dripmoulds with circular stops and shaped architraves with decorated lintels. All gables have stepped attic window of 3 lights with arched heads, copings and finial to apex. Continuous round building is a weathered plinth and string course, with cavetto section, over ground floor windows. First floor windows have hoodmoulds over with heart shaped stops to the front range and circles to the rear. Rear has 4 gables with kneelers surmounted by ball finial. and some double chamfered mullioned windows. At the north-east corner of the house is the kitchen; this has a large gable stack, and a drain spout projects from the east will at floor level. Several other stacks, but main hall stack runs on horizontal ridge parallel with south front at junction of third bay with east wing on a line with main entry door which leads straight into much altered hall, c.1873.

Interior: Hall is lit by windows on both south and north and is open to first floor with gallery on 3 1/2 sides approached by a stair which is close strung with turned balusters and a moulded band-rail. Large fireplace which has depressed arch, moulded jambs and lintel with spiral termination. Hall retains some original doors of 2 panels with round heads and ogee heads. Stone reset reads 'IMC 1661', Hall window has painted panel with clay coat of arms and 'IMC 1675'. Etched in glass are the lines:-

'Where e'er she treads the blushing Flowrs shall rise and all things prosper where she turns her Eyes.'

The house originally may have been designed as two dwellings. John Clay dies in 1654 leaving to Margaret, his son's widow £10 a year and the east end of the 'newly builded house'. Hunter, Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, Vol. 2 (1873) P.129. L. Ambler, 'The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire' (London 1913) p.22, 89. No Pevsner, 'Yorkshire West Riding' (1979) p.626, A.T. Longbotham, H.A.S. (1934). A. Comfort 'Ancient Halls in and about Halifax' (1912), 4.

Listing NGR: SE0974821445

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
338508
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913), 22
Comfort, A , Ancient Halls in and about Halifax, (1913), 4
Pevsner, N, Radcliffe, E, The Buildings of England: Yorkshire: The West Riding, (1967), 626
'Yorkshire Archaeological Journal' in Yorkshire Archaeological Journal, , Vol. 2, (1873), 1873
Other
Longbotham, AT , (1934)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 08 Dec 2006
Reference: IOE01/15825/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Nigel Wood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].