HARBURY CHURCH STREET
SP3760, SP3759 (North side)
11/78, 13/78 Church of All Saints
Church. C13. Tower later C13, with top part possibly 1811. Restored and enlarged
1873: nave largely rebuilt, south aisle widened, north aisle and organ
chamber/vestry added. Chancel, south aisle and tower of squared coursed
limestone rubble. Chancel has some sandstone and sandstone dressings. South
aisle has ironstone dressings. Upper part of tower of Flemish bond brick. Nave,
north aisle and chapel of regular coursed limestone with ironstone dressings.
Tile roofs have coped stone gable parapets with weatherings and kneelers and
remains of cross finials. Stone stack. Aisled nave, chancel, north chapel and
south-west tower. 2-bay chancel, 5-bay nave. Buttresses of 2 offsets throughout.
Chancel has splayed plinth. Diagonal buttresses. C19 geometrical and bar tracery
and hood moulds with block stops throughout. 3-light east window. Small studded
plank south door in chamfered surround. 2 straight-headed 2-light traceried
windows. Small C13 low-side chamfered lancet. C13 north lancet. South aisle has
diagonal and south buttresses. 3-light east window. C19 Early English style
double-leaf south door in angle abutting tower has inner continuous roll
moulding and roll moulded arch on nook shafts. Two 3-light windows. Nave has
shallow south-west and large north-west buttress. 4-light west window. Organ
chamber/vestry has 3-light east window. Chamfered north doorway. Lateral stack
with offsets. North aisle has east angle, west diagonal and north buttresses.
Doorway in fourth bay, similar to south side, has moulded arch with nailhead.
3-light windows; second bay has reticulated tracery. 3-light west window. Tower
of 3 stages has massive west setback buttresses of 4 offsets. South buttress has
painted sundial. South east clasping buttress. South and west lancets. Second
stage, partly of 1811, has south clock face of c.1835 set in lozenge panel.
Small round-arched window, largely of brick, above. Small blocked west window.
Moulded string course. Third stage has clasping buttresses. Small round-arched
bell openings with wooden louvres and cut-out quatrefoils. Plain cornice.
Crenellated parapet. Interior: chancel has C19 hammerbeam roof. Wide
segmental-pointed arch of 2 chamfered orders to organ chamber and vestry. Wide
chancel arch of 2 continuous chamfered orders. 3-bay south arcade of c.1300, of
2 chamfered orders with bar stops, and octagonal piers with moulded capitals.
Similar 5-bay north arcade of 1873. Wide south tower arch of 3 chamfered orders,
the outer segmental-pointed and the inner with moulded imposts. Nave, aisles and
chapel have arched braced queen strut roofs of 1873, with wind braces to nave.
Organ chamber has arch to aisle of 2 chamfered orders, the outer
segmental-pointed. South aisle has timber internal porch. Renewed west arch to
tower of 3 chamfered orders, the inner with moulded imposts, the outer segmental
pointed. Fittings: mostly of c.1873. Carved stone reredos. Chancel has encaustic
tiled floor. Octagonal font. Timber octagonal pulpit, north aisle screen and
benches. Chancel and south aisle have mid C18 communion rails with
column-on-vase balusters, those in aisle possibly imported from elsewhere. Early
C17 carved chest. Stained glass: east and chancel north windows c.1873. Chancel
south east 1890, centre 1899, south-west 1897. Tower south c.1873. Monuments:
tower east: early C18. Wall monument with Corinthian pilasters. The work carried
out in 1873 cost £4,000.
(V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.6, p:106; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.307;
Kelly's Directory of Warwickshire, 1892, pp.l03-l04).
Listing NGR: SP3744960016