Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185035.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 00:31:16.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 33543 56019


LIGHTHORNE CHURCH LANE SP35NW (North side) 4/112 Church of St. Lawrence 30/05/67


Church. Tower 1771 by Samuel Eglinton. Church 1875-1876 by John Gibson. Tower of limestone ashlar wth contrasting limestone dressings. Church of regular coursed rock-faced limestone with ironstone dressings. Tile roofs have coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave, north aisle and chapel, south porch, west tower. 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Gothic revival Decorated style. Splayed plinth, buttresses of 2 offsets, moulded sill course and splayed cornice throughout, except tower. Chancel has 3-light east window with bar tracery. Sill course stepped down to left and right. Buttresses flush with north and south walls have gablets. South side has narrow door in chamfered surround, with wider hood mould. 2-light windows have cusped intersecting tracery. Open-fronted south porch of stone and timber has arch and glazed panels. Double-leaf doors in chamfered surround. Nave and aisle have 2-light windows with reticulated tracery. Chapel has 2-light east window. North window of 3 small trefoiled lancets. Tower of 3 stages has splayed string courses. Gothick 4-panelled south door in moulded 4-centred surround. Second stage has large blind quatrefoil. West side has large quatrefoil window. Second stage window and bell openings have Y-tracery. Leaded lights, and louvres. Crenellated parapet with moulded cornice. Interior: chancel and nave have sill course continued over doors and arches as hood mould. Arched scissor-braced roofs with subsidiary braces and moulded stone corbels. Chancel has quatrefoil frieze below east window. South piscina. Arched north recess has attached shafts. Large and small chamfered arches to chapel. Chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould has half-round shafts with half-octagon capitals. 4-bay arcade has chamfered arches and round shafts with moulded capitals; no responds or imposts. Double-leaved doors to tower in chamfered arch, in double-chamfered straight surround. Inscription above. Treated as one composition with 2-light traceried balcony opening above. Quatrefoil balustrade. Aisle has tie-beam roof. Chapel has coupled rafter roof. Fittings: mosaic reredos. Encaustic tile sanctuary floor. Wrought iron altar rails. Octagonal font with attached shafts. Late C19/C20 Perpendicular style pulpit. Contemporary lectern, stalls and pews. Stained glass: chancel east, nave south-east and central and chapel east windows c.1875. Chapel north windows c.1894. Aisle east window has re-set old armorial glass. Headstone attached to chancel south wall. 1714. Carved limestone. Scalloped top with winged head and 2 bosses. Panel in shaped scrolled pedimented frame with drops. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.117; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.340).

Listing NGR: SP3354356019


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 117
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 340


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 27 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/14761/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].