NEW HIGH LIGHT AND HOUSE ATTACHED

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1185198
Date first listed:
19-Feb-1986
Statutory Address:
NEW HIGH LIGHT AND HOUSE ATTACHED, TYNE STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of NEW HIGH LIGHT AND HOUSE ATTACHED
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185198 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 14:34:37.

Location

Statutory Address:
NEW HIGH LIGHT AND HOUSE ATTACHED, TYNE STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
North Tyneside (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 36055 68382

Details

TYNEMOUTH TYNE STREET (south side) NZ 3668 SW North Shields. 15/127 New High Light and house attached. G.V. II Lighthouse and house. Lighthouse dated 1808 on north elevation and on rainwater head; house 1860. Lighthouse by John Stokoe, for Trinity House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Painted ashlar and brick; iron balustrade and lead roof to lighthouse and Welsh slate roof, with flat stone gable coping, to house. Lighthouse 4 storeys and lantern stage, one bay. Ground-floor projection holds blocked Venetian window under string; pedimented chambranle projection above. Blocked windows with classical treatment on first and second floors; round-arched top window under pediment. Cornice and iron balustrade with urn cover finials. Set-back lantern stage has blind window and round-hipped roof with central corniced stack. House adjoining at right: 2 storeys, 2 bays. Bricked-up overlight to hardboard-covered door at left; wedge stone lintels and projecting stone sills to blocked-up windows. Plaque above door, commemorating rebuilding in 1860, bears arms of Trinity House, Newcastle.

Listing NGR: NZ3605568382

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
303375
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 14 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00858/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs J.H. Black. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].