CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1185612
Date first listed:
06-Oct-1960
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185612.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Feb-2020 at 23:08:08.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Rugby (District Authority)
Parish:
Stretton-on-Dunsmore
National Grid Reference:
SP 40691 72522

Details

STRETTON ON DUNSMORE CHURCH HILL SP47SW (South side) 5/52 Church of All Saints 06/10/60

GV II*

Church. 1835-1837 by Thomas Rickman at the expense of Reverend William Clarke. Limestone ashlar. Roofs hidden by crenellated nave and moulded aisle parapets. Tall narrow chancel and aisled nave in one, west tower, east vestries. Gothic Revival style. One-bay chancel, 4-bay nave. Moulded splayed plinth. Buttresses of 4 offsets. Nave and chancel have angle buttresses rising into short square pinnacles with caps. 5-light east window has geometrical tracery and hood mould with head stops, swelling out at apex to enclose a quatrefoil opening, and surmounted with finial. Aisles have diagonal buttresses. 2-light aisle and exceptionally tall chancel windows have curvilinear tracery. Clerestory has round windows with alternating geometrical and curvilinear tracery. Hood moulds throughout have foliage stops. Low vestries in angles have traceried straight-headed 2-light east windows. North-east vestry has segmental-arched north door and brattished parapet. South-east vestry has moulded parapet. West front has tall central tower of 3 stages with full-height angle buttresses, moulded parapet and remains of pinnacles. Decorated style portal has piers with blind tracery and gablets, and large crocketed gable with finial. Doorway of 3 moulded orders. Double-leaf glazed doors have cast-iron Gothic tracery. North side has 2 small lancets, south side has straight-headed traceried window. String courses. Second stage has lancet with mouchettes to all sides, and clock face with hood mould to north. Third stage has tall 2-light bell openings with crocketed ogee hood moulds. West fronts of aisles have trefoiled lancet and round window above with geometrical and curvilinear tracery to north and south respectively. Lean-to roofs. Interior is plastered. 2-storey porch inside tower has 2 tiers of chamfered arches, forming open arcade to first floor, and balcony with cast-iron Gothic tracery balustrade. Plaster ribbed ceiling. Double-leaf doors to church. Charities board above outer doors. The church has plaster quadripartite rib vaulting throughout, with wall shafts and foliage corbels. Shallow raised chancel has stone panelling with blind reticulated tracery to sill height. The taller canted angles have crocketed gables and cinqfoiled arches with paintings of 1920 to the left and 1918 to the right. North and south sides have sedile with attached shafts and cusped stilted segmental arches. Arcades have stone piers with half-shafts and hexagonal bases, and arches of 2 moulded orders. Clerestory has panels of blind Perpendicular tracery below the windows. All windows have hood moulds. West gallery of stone runs the full width of the church and is entirely independent of the arcades. It stands on a 7-bay arcade of moulded stilted segmental arches with octagonal shafts. Gallery front has blind quatrefoil frieze. Large moulded blind tower arch. Fittings: stone reading desk and pulpit have castellated turrets, with blind tracery, blind Perpendicular tracery panels and lecterns on carved brackets. Polygonal pulpit has large moulded and carved round base. Octagonal stone font below gallery has cinqfoiled ogee niches, shafts and buttresses. Aisles retain some box pews. Stained glass: chancel south window has a C17 panel of Christ at Emmaus, with tabernacle work of c.1840. Monuments: chancel south: Reverend William Daniel Clarke 1817, vicar, who 'provided for reconstruction of the church'. Sarcophagus with religious still-life. Signed J. Bacon and S. Manning. South aisle east: Samuel Taylor 1752. Marble. Open pediment on brackets, and eared panel. The church is virtually unaltered and complete. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.243-4; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.420-421).

Listing NGR: SP4069172522

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308838
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 243-244
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 420-421

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Nov 2004
Reference: IOE01/12866/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].