Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1185643

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1954

Statutory Address: 3, CORNMARKET STREET


Ordnance survey map of 3, CORNMARKET STREET
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185643 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jan-2019 at 09:42:10.


Statutory Address: 3, CORNMARKET STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Oxfordshire

District: Oxford (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: SP 51340 06215


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


CORNMARKET STREET 1. 1485 (East Side) No 3 SP 5106 SW 8/305 12.1.54. II* GV 2. House and shop. RCHM 102. A C15 core with addition of top storey, possibly made in C17. It was refronted in C18 and altered in 1934, when the small South wing was rebuilt. The modern front consists of 4-storeyed stucco with cellars, bands at the 2nd and 3rd floors and a modillioned cornice. There is a modern shop front to the ground floor and 4 sash windows with glazing bars in each floor, the ancient structure within is timber-framed. Interior. RCHM page 169a. Includes the painted Room (on North of 2nd floor; see Oxoniensia I (1936) 144-150) which has late C16 wall paintings (between 1564 and 1581), C16 fireplace and C16 and early C17 panelling. History. William Davenant, the friend of Shakespeare and Vitner, came to live here in June 1603. The House became the Crown Inn in 1666.

Nos 1 to 3 (consec), 5, 8 to 10 (consec) and Nos 1 to 3 (consec) High Street form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5134006215


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 245398

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 169
'Oxoniensia' in Oxoniensia, , Vol. 1, (1936), 144-150

End of official listing