CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1185771
Date first listed:
06-Dec-1947
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185771.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:01:50.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Nuneaton and Bedworth (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 35961 93571

Details

NUNEATON AND BEDWORTH

SP39SE 2/42

Weddington

CHURCH LANE (North side)

Church of St. James

06/12/47

II

Church. Early C14 north transept, now vestry. Chancel, nave and tower rebuilt 1733 at expense of Gilbert Adderley. Gothicised by Arthur Blomfield 1881. Sandstone splay plinth throughout is probably medieval. Flemish bond brick with stone dressings. North transept of regular coursed sandstone. Plain-tile roofs with terracotta ridge cresting and stone-coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave, west tower, south porch, north vestry. C13 style. Two-bay chancel, four-bay nave. Three-light east window has bar tracery and hood mould with foliage stops. Moulded sill course steps down and continues across north and south sides. South side has a two-light and north side a one-light window with similar tracery. All openings throughout have brick voussoirs. Moulded stone cornice. Porch has buttresses flush with front. Doorway of two moulded orders with nook shafts, hood mould with foliage stops, and double leaf doors. Sides have paired trefoil windows.

Nave has three windows with cusped Y-tracery, and moulded sill course. North side is a similar one-window range. Transept has renewed straight-headed traceried three-light east window. Buttresses in east and west angles. North side has blocked medieval window with hood mould and remains of head stops. Quatrefoil windows inserted to left and right. Plain gable. West wall has two large slate headstones attached. Left headstone, dated 1734, has inscription to Gilbert Adderley: 'He built this church at his sole expence in 1733'. Right: Thomas Adderley 1757. Fine large coat of arms. Tower of two stages with stone splay course between. Clasping buttresses with gablets. West doorway has moulded outer and chamfered inner order, and plank door. Hood mould with head stop. Two-light bell-chamber openings have cusped Y-tracery, wood louvres and hood moulds with foliage stops. South side has two-light window with round-arched plate tracery below bell opening. Rose window to east has Star of David tracery. Steep pyramid roof has lucarnes and weathervane. Interior is plastered. East window has moulded arches, attached shafts and hood mould. three-bay boarded barrel roof. Chancel arch of 1881 of two chamfered orders, the inner with half-octagonal responds, and hood mould with head stops. Nave has C14 north arch of two chamfered orders and hood mould; late C20 enclosed screen. Trenched purlin roof has chamfered tie and collar beams with braces.

Fittings: early C12 font bowl has intersecting blind arcading; C19 stem. Hexagonal pulpit of 1733 has bolection and fielded panels. Cut-down C18 panelled pews. Late C19 encaustic tiles and other fittings.

Stained glass: nave south-east by Kempe and Tower 1916.

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 20 June 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
308580
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1947), 180
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 466
'Kellys Directory' in Warwickshire, (1894), 241

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/07215/06
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Wise. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].