CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1185823
Date first listed:
30-May-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, PARK LANE

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185823.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:49:54.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, PARK LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Southam
National Grid Reference:
SP 41792 61768

Details

SOUTHAM PARK LANE SP4161 (South side) 13/78 Church of St. James 30/05/67

GV I

Church. C14, with C15, early C16 and C19 alterations and additions. Squared coursed lias chancel, nave and tower with sandstone dressings, and sandstone ashlar clerestory and spire. Fish-scale tile chancel and porch roofs with flashing. Lead nave roof. Chancel with north aisle, nave with north and south aisles and west tower. Chancel of C14 origins, rebuilt C15. Three bays with moulded plinth, offset buttresses, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to east with cross at apex. Restored east window of 4 cusped lights with curvilinear tracery within a moulded surround. 3 part-restored C15 windows to south, each of 3 cusped and ogee-headed lights with moulded surround. Central window truncated with restored ogee-headed doorway below with plank door. C19 north aisle of 2 bays with 2 windows to north, each of 2 ogee-headed lights and trefoil tracery. C19 vestry to east with one C13-style 3-light window to east and one C13-style lancet to north. Also to north a small C20 lias and sandstone kitchen extension. C14 nave with aisles widened C15. Early C16 clerestory. Nave of 4 bays, the aisles with chamfered plinths and offset buttresses. South aisle has hollow-chamfered eaves cornice with paterae. Parapetted nave roof with moulded eaves cornice. North aisle has two C15 windows to east of porch, each of 3 ogee-headed lights within square-headed chamfered surround. C19 restored window to west of porch of 2 cusped lights and tracery. C19 west window to north aisle of 2 cusped lights and curvilinear tracery. C19 gabled porch with offset buttresses and coped gable on kneelers. Plank door within moulded pointed-head surround with hood mould and labels. Trefoiled lancets to east and west. Re-used doorway of 2 orders, the inner a roll with small moulded capitals. Hood mould with carved foliage labels. C19 plank door. South aisle has 3 windows to south, that towards east C19 in C15 style, of 3 cusped lights within a segmental pointed-head surround. Restored windows to east and west of porch, each of 2 cusped lights with C15 tracery. 3-light traceried window with segmental pointed-head surround in each wall. C19 window in west wall of 3 cusped lights and reticulated tracery. C19 gabled porch with moulded plinth and hollow-chamfered eaves cornice with paterae. Double plank doors within pointed, moulded, arch with columns with carved foliage capitals and moulded bases. Re-used pointed-arched doorway with moulded surround. North and south windows of two C13-style lancets. Early C16 clerestory of 8 windows, each of 2 scalloped lights with 4 trefoiled tracery lights within hollow-moulded, 4-centred-head surrounds with continuous hood mould. Scalloped panel tracery below windows. C14 tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth, large offset diagonal buttresses rising to top, string course at second stage and hollow-moulded eaves cornice with carved heads in hollow. Part-restored C14 west window to first stage of 2 cusped lights within ogee-headed surround. C16 west door immediately below, with moulded shoulder-arched surround. C19 plank door. C14 two-light windows with moulded surrounds to all faces of third stage, with pointed light to second stage south. C15 octagonal broach spire, part rebuilt at top, with pinnacles on broaches and 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: below east window of chancel a C19 stone-panelled reredos. South windows have moulded rere-arches. C19 north aisle arcade of 2 bays. Ogee-headed piscina. C14 rood-loft doorway. C19 open-trussed rafter roof. C15 double-chamfered chancel arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays with double-chamfered arches and octagonal piers with moulded bases and capitals. Hood mould with C19 carved head labels. Clerestory has panelled tracery below windows, echoing exterior. Early C16 roof with moulded tie-beans, moulded rafters and moulded purlins. Carved wood bosses representing Tudor roses, angels and foliage. Traceried brackets support tie beams, and rest on carved head and angel corbels. Double-chamfered tower arch. C19 north aisle roof with C17 chamfered-beam south aisle roof. 2 moulded, pointed-arched, tomb recesses in south aisle wall, with C14 ogee-headed piscina with fluted basin. Fragments of medieval wall painting remain on west wail. C17 polygonal pulpit, part-restored, with carved tracery panels. C19/C20 screen with rood loft, replacinq earlier screen. C18 floor slabs in chancel, and C18 and C19 floor slabs in nave. Wall tablets in south aisle to the Wood family, late C18, and to members of the Barnacle family, died 1741 and 1781, also one dated 1745, with carved surround. Wall tablet in north aisle to Daniel and Martha Attrick, who died in 1765 and 1772 respectively. Two C17 chests in nave, one dated 1620. C19 polygonal pulpit in south aisle. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.VI, pp.222-4; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire, p.403).

Listing NGR: SP4179061770

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307208
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W, The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1951), 222-4
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 403

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 Sep 2001
Reference: IOE01/05560/13
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Walter Chinn. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].