CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1185866

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1968

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HURSTWOOD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185866 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Mar-2019 at 06:10:18.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST PETER, HURSTWOOD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Kent

District: Maidstone (District Authority)

Parish: Bredhurst

National Grid Reference: TQ 79903 62126

Details

TQ 76 SE BREDHURST HURSTWOOD ROAD (north side)

1/116 Church of St. Peter 26.4.68 II

Parish Church. Norman and C13,heavily restored in 1866. Flint with stone dressings and plain-tile roof. Nave and south porch 1866 in Early English style. Chancel Norman with projecting C13 south aisle, both restored in 1866. Nave has double bell-cote on roof at east end. South Porch with wooden screen on flint base with cusped, low-sweeping bargeboards and arched doorhead with small moulded crown-post on crenellated beam above. South aisle of chancel gabled. 3 single lancets, repaired externally; one in west end, 2 in south wall. Pair of lancets in east wall. C19 buttresses. Chancel roof lower and less steeply pitched than that of aisle, and lower than that of nave. Triple lancet in east end, restored externally. 4 single lancets in north wall; 3 aligned and unrestored, one presumably older much smaller and restored, at lower level between west two. Interior: 2-bay south arcade to chancel has single circular central chalk pier with roll moulding to top and arches of 2 orders with plain chamfers springing from corbels on the plain end piers. North lancet in east wall of south chapel has an original corbelled impost with traces of waterleaf decoration. Stepped base, topped with a roll, of capital between north and south lancets. Roof of C19 scissor-braced construction with collars, ashlar- pieces, projecting moulded sole-plates and cornice. Fragment of wall-painting above lancets in east end of south aisle and along south wall of south aisle traces of foliated frieze in red ochre with vertical lines below, possibly the start of a key.

Listing NGR: TQ7973162234

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 173623

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing