LOWER SPARK HOUSE FARMHOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1185880
Date first listed:
15-Nov-1966
Date of most recent amendment:
19-Jul-1988
Statutory Address:
LOWER SPARK HOUSE FARMHOUSE, 47, 49 AND 53, SPARK HOUSE LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185880.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 03:37:33.

Location

Statutory Address:
LOWER SPARK HOUSE FARMHOUSE, 47, 49 AND 53, SPARK HOUSE LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Calderdale (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SE 06575 23304

Details

SOWERBY BRIDGE SPARK HOUSE LANE SE 0623-0723 (north side), Norland 13/236 Nos 47, 49 and 53 15.11.66 (Lower Spark House Farmhouse) (formerly listed as Lower Spark House) GV II Farmhouse, now 3 dwellings. Dated 'IT 1677', subdivided and altered C19, and with alterations and wing added c1980. Coursed squared stone, rendered at front; stone slate roof. 2-storey, 2-bay range with cross-wing on left which has been extended to rear. Road front: quoins exposed on right. Double-chamfered mullion windows. Wing has outshut on left, on ground floor an 8-light, now 4-light, window with king mullion and decoratively stopped hoodmould. Main range has chamfered quoined doorway with round-cornered soffit to dated lintel; to its left is a triangular-headed window; to its right a 4-light, now 2-light, window with decoratively-stopped hoodmould flanked by chamfered square lights. On lst floor a 3-light window to left and 5-light window to right. At eaves between this range and wing a gutter spout. Roof hipped to right. Ridge stack between wing and main range and on hip. Left return: outshut has quoins on left and a 5-light window (one mullion removed, 3 lights blocked). To left is the c1980 extension in same style and with stepped roof line. Right return: 2 doorways with plain stone surrounds and an inserted window. Interior: a chamfered quoined Tudor-arched doorway into housebody (central room) which has a large arched fireplace (hidden), stop-chamfered spine-beams and a partition in the position of a heck screen. The initials 'IT' may stand for a member of the Taylor family - Norland Hall (qv) was refronted in 1672 by Joseph Taylor and Upper Hall, Norland (qv) was built in 1690 by John Taylor of Norland Hall. L Ambler The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire.

Listing NGR: SE0657523304

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
339366
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Ambler, L, The Old Halls and Manor Houses of Yorkshire, (1913)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 10 Oct 1999
Reference: IOE01/00588/24
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Robert W Mawer. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].