CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1185943
Date first listed:
20-Mar-1967
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH VIEW

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185943.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:41:59.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH VIEW

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Darlington (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Sadberge
National Grid Reference:
NZ 34092 16807

Details

SADBERGE CHURCH VIEW NZ 3416 (South side, off)

15/112 Church of 20/3/67 St. Andrew

GV II

Parish church. 1831 by William Ramshaw, refenestrated 1874; south porch and vestry added 1904. Squared sandstone with dressings; incorporating some probably medieval masonry in lower courses. Graduated green slate roofs. Aisleless nave with former porch, now storage, on west end and 1904 porch on south; chancel; north vestry across junction of nave and chancel. 1831 Romanesque-style windows mainly replaced by lancets in 1874.

3-bay nave has chamfered plinth and flat-buttress bay divisions. 3-centred south doorway, in porch, flanked by re-set carved medieval fragments representing The Fall and God triumphing over Satan; small stoup re-set near east jamb of doorway. Mainly paired lancets under hoodmoulds. Round- arched 1831 window in east bay on south side. Roof has overhanging eaves on large stone corbels. Large gabled bellcote at west end above blocked round-arched window. Lower and narrower 2-bay chancel has similar window and roof details; pointed 3-light east window. Gabled west end porch has blocked round-arched doorway. Gabled south porch has pointed doorway of 2 chamfered orders and lancets on returns. Gabled vestry has pointed doorway on east and paired lancets on north.

Interior: plain and plastered; chamfered semicircular chancel arch; similar smaller arch at west end of nave; C19 stone font with octagonal bowl; c.1890 to 1900 memorial stained glass by Hemmings of London; nave roof has 7 braced king-post trusses with a flat ceiling above the collars.

(Rev. W.L. Taylor, The History of Sadberge, 1919).

Listing NGR: NZ3409216807

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
350488
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Taylor, W L, The History of Sadberge, (1919)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].