Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST CUTHBERT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1185997.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Feb-2020 at 19:33:32.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County Durham (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 11693 43248


SATLEY B6296 (West side) NZ 14 SW Satley

9/111 Church of St. Cuthbert 17.1.67 GV II

Parish church. 1870-71 restoration and enlargement of early C18 chapel-of- ease on site of medieval chapel; 1768 became separate parish. Present nave occupies site of former nave and chancel. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar quoins and dressings; plinth to chancel and tower; stone-flagged roof with stone gable copings. Nave with west tower and south porch; chancel with north organ chamber and vestry.

Gabled porch has boarded door in chamfered 2-centred arch; tower has high plinth at sill-level of 2-light west window with cusped tracery; paired chamfered 2-centred-arched louvred bell openings; roll-moulded coping.

Nave has gabled porch with boarded door in 2-centred-arched chamfered surround; tracery in 2 south lancets and one north lancet; central north bay has tall square-headed C18 window with 2 mullioned-and-transomed elliptical-headed lights. Lower chancel has Decorated tracery in single window on south, with low 2-centred-arched head; and 3-light east window with cusped tracery;dripmoulds. Deep buttresses to nave, and deep diagonal buttresses to chancel. Stone cross finials.

Interior: sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; stone-corbelled roof trusses have arch-braced collars with struts and king-posts; chancelhas arch-braced collars with struts. 7 narrow bays in nave, 3 in chancel. Renewed west gallery. Wide 2-centred tower arch in gallery; narrower wood lintel over boarded door below. Chamfered 2-centred chancel arch with roll-moulded inner arch on corbels. Octagonal stone C19 font. High-quality panelled inner doors by Thompson of Masham. Gothic-style priest's stall in memory of G.S. Ellam died 1905. Gothic panelled reredos is 1914-1919 war memorial. Chancel and sanctuary floors in red, black and cream tiles. Rood screen 1907 memorial to Rev. de Pledge, in whose care the church was restored and embellished by subscription according to brass memorial plaque. Other memorials include brass to Rev. de Pledge's 3rd son, Colonel in 19th Hussars, died 1908; by Underwood, 14 Baker Street. Organ 1879 by Harrison and Harrison. C19 glass includes memorials to John Greenwell of Broomshields, and to Revs. Thompson died 1867 and de Pledge.

2 medieval grave covers in west wall; source P.F. Ryder, The Medieval Slab Grave Cover in County Durham, Durham 1985, III.

Listing NGR: NZ1169343248


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and North' in Transactions of the Architectural and Archaeological Society of Durham and North, , Vol. 3, (1985)


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00654/17
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].