CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1186036
Date first listed:
21-Oct-1949
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH BANK

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186036 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Jul-2019 at 01:22:57.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH BANK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Newcastle upon Tyne (Metropolitan Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NZ 16679 65368

Details

NZ 16 NE NEWBURN CHURCH BANK (north side) Newburn

7/26 (inset) Church of St. Michael and 21 October 1949 All Angels.

G.V. I

Parish church. Cll tower, Norman nave and chancel with later porch and windows. C19 clerestory. Cruciform with aisles clasping west tower; south porch. Coursed squared sandstone with ashlar dressings; plinth to chancel, chamfered plinth to south transept and porch; graduated Lakeland slate roof with flat stone gable copings. Gabled porch contains panelled double door in moulded 2-centred arch under niche with statue. 3-stage tower has blocked round-headed west door with inserted small round- headed window; similar window above; second stage has slit opening; belfry openings round-headed containing 2 round-arched lights and central shaft. Clasping buttresses; pyramidal roof and weathervane. Renewed lancet windows, paired in 6-bay aisles, and stepped 3-light east window. Round clerestory windows. Diagonal buttresses to transepts and set-back buttresses to chancel . Interior: Plaster with ashlar dressings above boarded dado. Round piers with waterleaf square capitals support plain arches of north arcade; south arcade has octagonal piers, moulded capitals and double-chamfered pointed arches. C19 arches to tower aisles and to transept; double- chamfered chancel arch. Arch-braced collar and king post roof to nave; crown-post to chancel. North transept refitting in 1941 as war memorial. Chancel has tomb recess on north side. Wall monument to Thomas Longbridge of Walbottle, died 1725, on south side; classical style with bust in broken pediment. Glass in north aisle by Ballantine and Gardiner, Edinburgh, 1904; in south aisle commemorating the Hedley family and their help in establishing the bishopric of Newcastle in 1882. Source: M. Hope Dodds History of Northumberland 1930, pp 118-28.

Listing NGR: NZ1667865368

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
304346
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dodds, M H, The Victoria History of the County of Northumberland, (1930), 118-28
Websites
War Memorials Register, accessed 16 August 2017 from http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/item/memorial/34587

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 13 Jan 2001
Reference: IOE01/03304/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].