CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1186160
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1966
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, MAIN STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186160.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Apr-2021 at 06:23:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF THE ASSUMPTION OF THE BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, MAIN STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Warwickshire
District:
Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
Parish:
Tysoe
National Grid Reference:
SP 34096 44369

Details

TYSOE MAIN STREET SP3544 (West side) Middle Tysoe 17/88 Church of the Assumption of 13/10/66 the Blessed Virgin Mary

GV I

Church. Late C11 origins, with late C12, C13, C14 and C15 alterations and additions. Restored 1854 by Gilbert Scott. Squared, coursed ironstone. Parapeted roofs. Chancel, nave with clerestory, north and south aisles and west tower. Chancel of 2 bays with offset buttresses, plinth and parapet. To east a 5-light cusped C15 window within hollow chamfered surround. 2 further 3-light cusped windows to south, and one to north, with hollow chamfered surrounds. To north a C19 vestry with 2 reticulated windows and plank door within pointed arch. Nave of 4 bays with pierced quatrefoil parapet to south, wavy line to north. Corbel table below of carved animal heads. Pinnacles with cusped panels and crockets. Aisles have plinth, coped parapet, offset diagonal buttresses and gargoyles to north. To centre of south aisle a plank door within late C12 round headed arch of 2 orders of shafts with rings, and water-leaf capitals with lozenge and nailhead mouldings in the arch. Above an Agnus Dei panel in bas relief with carved corbel to either side, that to right a beakhead. C15 porch with double chamfered arch and moulded imposts. Double plank doors. To left of door a C20 two-light window. To right a C14 three-light reticulated window with hood mould and label stops. To far right a C15 three-light square-headed window with cusped lights, hood mould and carved label stops. To north aisle a plank door within moulded, pointed arch with hood mould and label stops. To left and right of porch a C14 three-light reticulated window. To far left a three-light window of intersecting tracery. Windows have hood moulds and label stops. To west of north aisle a single round-headed light. Renewed 2-light reticulated window with hood mould and label stops to west of south aisle. Clerestory has eight C14 square-headed 2-light windows to north and south of differing cusped tracery. All have dropped hood moulds and label stops. To east gable end a C17 sanctus bell turret. West tower of 4 offset stages with plinth, buttresses and battlemented parapet with pinnacles. To south a blocked round-headed arch and round-headed light to west. To third stage a late C12 corbel table, with a small single light below to north and south. Fourth stage has 2-light cusped bell chamber openings wiht hood moulds and label stops. Cusped panels to each corner, and gargoyles below parapet. Interior: C15 many-moulded chancel arch. Nave arcade of 4 bays. To south C12 round piers with scalloped and round capitals on square abaci. Responds to east and west. 2 blocked C11 openings above. North arcade has C15 octagonal piers with double-chamfered arches and responds, that to east with small cusped piscina. Pointed doorway to north. C15 triple-chamfered tower arch, now blocked. Roofs mostly C15, partly restored. Nave and aisle roofs are supported on C15 carved corbel heads. In chancel a tomb to William Clarke, died 1618. In north aisle wall a C12 tomb in C14 cusped ogee recess, with finial. In east wall of south aisle a memorial tablet to Ralph Wilcox, died 1659. In north aisle wall a brass to Thomas Mastrupe, dated 1463. In east wall of north aisle brasses to the Browne family, dated 1598 and 1611. A tablet in porch, dated 1662. 2 further C17 tablets in external porch wall. In nave a late C14 octagonal stone font with reliefs of the Virgin and Child, the Baptism of Christ and various saints in crocketed ogee gables. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.435-6; V.C.H.: pp177-181).

Listing NGR: SP3414844407

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
307328
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 177-181
Pevsner, N, Wedgewood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1981), 435-6

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 09 Aug 2002
Reference: IOE01/08073/23
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr David Morphew. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].