BLAKENEY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1186386
Date first listed:
25-Jan-1985
Date of most recent amendment:
20-Oct-1994
Statutory Address:
BLAKENEY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, CINDERFORD ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of BLAKENEY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186386 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2019 at 21:44:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
BLAKENEY UNITED REFORMED CHURCH, CINDERFORD ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Awre
National Grid Reference:
SO 66866 07026

Details

In the entry for:

SO 60 NE AWRE CINDERFORD ROAD Blakeney 3/93 Congregational Chapel

- II

the entry shall be amended to read:

SO 60 NE AWRE CINDERFORD ROAD Blakeney

3/93 Blakeney United Reformed Church

25/01/85

- II*



Non-conformist chapel. Dated 1849. Squared and coursed stone with ashlar quoins and dressings, rendered to left-hand retum and to rear and with brick window dressings to rear block; ashlar facade; hipped slate roof to front chapel block and gabled slate roof to rear schoolroom block. Classical style with Gothick details. Rectangular-plan chapel with entrance to narthex beneath gallery; schoolroom block to rear. Gabled facade with pyramidal finials, set on pilaster buttresses to ends; debased classical porch with bootscrapers to sides and finial to simple pediment with cornice and finial; panelled double doors. Architrave to panel above, inscribed INDEPENDENT CHAPEL; semi-circular architraves with impost and key blocks to tall small-paned windows with radiating heads. Moulded beneath pediment with 1849 date set in oval panel to tympanum. Similar windows to 2-window returns, those on left-hand return with Gothick details to heads. To rear is lower schoolroom range, with 3 similar smaller windows which are graduated down from centre. INTERIOR: moulded ceiling cornice; dog leg stairs with turned balusters rise to gallery, which retains original pews with panelled backs and shaped ends, panelled balcony front with Gothick frieze interrupted by full-height trefoil-headed panels; gallery is supported on octagonal with moulded bases and capitals to fluted upper sections. Panelled screen walls and doors to narthex beneath gallery. Full set of original box pews, with pulpit set in railed area with wooden rail supported on wrought-iron stanchions with Gothic scrolls. Built to replace a chapel at Blakeney Hill which opened in 1823. A remarkably complete and architecturally distinctive example of its type, one ofthe most prominent and distinctive expressions ofnon conformist architecture in the Forest of Dean region.

------------------------------------

SO 60 NE AWRE CINDERFORD ROAD, BLAKENEY 3/93 Congregational Chapel - - II

Former Independent Chapel, now Congregational Chapel. Dated 1849. Fine squared stone pecked surface and margins, Welsh slate hipped root. Entrance front with pilaster corners topped by obelisks and central pediment broken through by date stone plus obelisk. 2-windowed, arched heads, flat dressed surrounds, central pair of 3-panel doors in heavy 'doric' porch. South side rendered, 2-windowed arched, with simple tracery, flat band surrounds with keystone and impost blocks; north side similar, but exposed coursed and squared stone. Original wood sashes. At rear, cross block, low single storey, slate roof.

Listing NGR: SO6686607026

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
353901
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 May 2002
Reference: IOE01/06871/11
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Clark. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].