CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1186572
Date first listed:
07-Aug-1954
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186572.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Apr-2021 at 13:16:22.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Alvington
National Grid Reference:
SO 60321 00681

Details

ALVINGTON CHURCH LANE SO 60 SW (west side) 7/2 Church of St Andrew 7.8.54 GV II Anglican Parish Church. C13 and C14 but heavily restored 1858 and 1890. Coursed sandstone, stone slate roofs, all gables coped, with kneelers and saddle stone or cross. West tower, nave, south aisle and south chapel, chancel, south porch, vestry. Tower in 3 stages on plinth, 2 small vertical lights in stage 1, clock to stage 2, lancet with drip, stage 3 all faces, crenellations and pinnacles, weather cock. Windows mostly 2 or 3-light Decorated but C19 reconstructions but one lancet to south aisle, and in south chapel a 2-light with 'Kentish' tracery. Stonework to east end in deep courses and well worn to chancel. North side of chancel one small Norman light. C19 porch with tall outer doorway with inscription "My soul doth magnify the Lord. The Lord careth for the righteous'. Inner door plank and straps. Interior: 3-bay nave chamfered arcade on octagonal piers and foliage caps, rood stair entrance, steep pointed chancel arch on tripartite stiff-leaf corbels; chancel, barell roof, C19 reredos arch to south chapel double hollow chamfer on octagonal responds. In south chapel a large mensa, with consecration crosses and large incised cross. Large 160q memorial to Sir Robert Woodrof. In the south aisle one window in style of Burne-Jones.

Listing NGR: SO6032100681

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
354366
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/13139/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr John Sheraton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].