LYDNEY PARK

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1186596
Date first listed:
07-Mar-1988
Statutory Address:
LYDNEY PARK

Map

Ordnance survey map of LYDNEY PARK
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186596.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Mar-2020 at 21:32:27.

Location

Statutory Address:
LYDNEY PARK

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Gloucestershire
District:
Forest of Dean (District Authority)
Parish:
Lydney
National Grid Reference:
SO 61882 02586

Details

LYDNEY GENERAL SO 60 SW 7/56 Lydney Park - II Large country house. 1877, architect C H Howell. Rock faced coursed limestone, tile roof: multiple chimney stacks, but all shafts cut back to base. A rambling composition with main entrance to north flanked by projecting wing, left and later museum wing, right; the south front, towards the Severn, incorporates a tower at the right end. Generally 2½ storeys with various mullioned windows, and plate glass sashes sliding behind stone members. Entrance front has large external stack, right, with moulded panel and motto 'TIEN TA FOI', that of the Bathurst family for which house was built, also an octagonal turret in the internal corner, and a circular turret with steep conical roof on the wing to left. To south front, seen from the main road, 2½ storeys, with two principal gables and two lesser gables at centre, a 2 storey hexagonal bay and a segmental one, stopped right to a five storey tower. The interior contains much original panelling of high quality, a grand open well oak stair, a secondary stair of 1910, and various original doors, fireplaces and ceilings. The building has a commanding position in parkland at the southern entrance to the parish, and replaces an earlier house, now represented by the Stables (qv).

Listing NGR: SO6188202586

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
354418
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].