135, HIGH STREET

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1186742
Date first listed:
12-Jan-1954
Statutory Address:
135, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1186742.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 30-Jul-2021 at 23:51:10.

Location

Statutory Address:
135, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Oxfordshire
District:
Oxford (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
SP 51393 06172

Details

HIGH STREET 1. 1485 (South Side) No l35 SP 5106 SW 8/347 12.1.54. II GV 2. House and modern shops. RCHM 77. Early C18 3-storeyed stuccoed timber-framed front over cellars and having 3 gabled dormers in a Welsh slate roof. There is an overhang at the lst floor and a heavy moulded modillioned cornice and 3 sash windows. Interior. RCHM page 166a. Includes C18 panelling in lst and 2nd floor room. History. Known once as Hore's tenement. (Oxford History Society LXVII 55, 60). In 1679 Elinor Sylvester "was burnt out and built a new" and her fine on renewal of lease, reduced, (ib LXIX, 369). It is not easy to say if the core of the present house is that of the 1679 building. Bought by the University of Oxford in 1947.

All the listed buildings on the South Side form a group.

Listing NGR: SP5139306172

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
245543
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Inventory of the City of Oxford, (1939), 166
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 67, (), 55
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 67, (), 60
'Oxford History Society' in Oxford History Society, , Vol. 67, (), 369

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/06517/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Ms Ruth Povey. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].