CHURCH OF ST MARY

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1187001

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187001 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Feb-2019 at 01:22:58.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Suffolk

District: St. Edmundsbury (District Authority)

Parish: Ickworth

National Grid Reference: TL 81248 61115

Details

TL R6 SW ICKWORTH ICKWORTH PARK 2/101 Church of St Mary

14.7.55 II*

Church, mediaeval with major C19 alterations. Nave, chancel, west tower, south aisle, north porch. Flint rubble walling, refaced in knapped flints C19: limestone dressings and parapet gables; tower of stuccoed brick. Slated roofs. Chancel mid C13; east triple-lancet window under linked hood-moulds, inner shafts with stiff-leaf capitals, oculus above; 2 lancet windows and squint in north wall. 3-light window inserted in north nave wall c.1300 with cusped intersecting tracery; rear arch has attached shafts and hood-mould; an integral piscina with leaf-carved pediment and cusped heads, double drain, moulded bearer stone from shaft to back wall formerly holding the credence shelf; dropped window cill seat. This is probably the site of the side chapel to St. Mary. Simple C13 or C14 north nave doorway. In the chancel a restored C15 south nave window with adjacent cinqfoiled piscina. 3-stage west tower 1833; porch with west doorway at ground level; triple-lancet bell-chamber openings; crenellated parapets and crocketted corner pinnacles. South aisle 1833, as private seating for the Harvey family, with 2 arches and balcony into nave. West balcony with door into ringing chamber 1833. Continuous roof over nave and chancel rebuilt 1911; scissor-braced trusses with alternately A, moulded tie-beam and cusped collar-braces; and B, plain arched collar-braces springing from short hammer beams; 2 tiers of wind-braced purlins and crenellated cornice. North porch added c.1911, open, timber-framed with gabled cedar- shingled roof. Plain C15 octagonal limestone font. C17 octagonal pulpit, converted c.1775 into 3-decker with balustrading and original graining. Altar rails c.1775, with turned balusters. 20 C17 and C18 marble wall and floor slabs in chancel many with carved achievement; to members of the Hervey family. 14 C17 and C18 wall tablets in nave, to members of the Hervey family and others. A C15 red-line wall painting of the angel of Annunciation, on east wall of chancel. Roundels of Flemish painted glass in several windows; of several dates from early C14 to C19.

Listing NGR: TL8124861115

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 363176

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 39 Suffolk,

End of official listing