PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1187026
Date first listed:
10-Apr-1974
Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187026.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 17:53:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
PARISH CHURCH OF ST MATTHEW, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Surrey
District:
Spelthorne (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 07216 71508

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 5290 Ashford Parish Church of St Matthew TQ 07 SE 4/39 10.4.74 II

2. 1856-8. Tower 1865. Architect William Butterfield. Decorated Gothic style. Built of ragstone with Bath stone dressings and bands. Tiled roofs. Aisled nave, chancel and south chapel, south-west tower and porch with pyramidal roof. Tower has clasping buttresses, lancet bell openings and pyramidal roof. Cusped lancets to aisles. Two light decorated clerestory windows. Three-light east window. Fanlight east window. Porch has depressed segmental head below a tympanum with pointed head. Interior: 5 bay arcade on octagonal piers. Chancel arch on octagonal responds. Plain chamfered treatment. Rood screen. Brass to Edward Wooden and wife (1525). Coffin plate to Earl of Kinnoul (d.1758). C20 5 bay vestry to north-east at right angles in similar style. (See VCR Vol II p 308, Middlesex).

Listing NGR: TQ0721671508

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
363225
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Cockburn, J S, King, H P F, McDonnell, K G T, The Victoria History of the County of Middlesex, (1976), 308

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 30 Aug 2005
Reference: IOE01/12943/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Cano-Lopez. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].