CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1187081
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1948
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Feb-1983
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187081.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Feb-2020 at 19:36:18.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ALL ANGELS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Crawley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27419 40102

Details

CHURCH ROAD 1. 5403 Lowfield Heath

Church of St Michael and All Angels (formerly listed as TQ 24 SE 1/14 21.6.48 Church of St Michael) II*

Built in 1867. Architect William Burges. Style is Early C13 French Gothic. Cnancel, north vestry, nave, western narthex and south-west tower, surmounted by pyramidal timber spire covered in oak shingles. Walls of undressed local stone laid in thin regular courses. Bath stone used for dressings. Plate tracery in wide windows of Nave, the west window a large wheel window with sculpture representing the Four Ages of Man, St Michael and the Dragon carved over west doorway. Timber narthex resting on stone plinth and having tiled lean-to roof. Nave and chancel have steeply pitched roofs covered with fishscale tiles. Internally the roofs are of pine, of 2 centred arch form, pointed, boarded in, with tie beams and tall king posts. (See Eastlake "History of the Gothic Revival" pages 416-417).

Listing NGR: TQ2741940102

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
363337
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Eastlake, C , History of the Gothic Revival, (1970), 416-417

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Apr 2007
Reference: IOE01/16359/33
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].