THE GEORGE HOTEL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1187088
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1948
Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE HOTEL, HIGH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187088.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2021 at 23:54:56.

Location

Statutory Address:
THE GEORGE HOTEL, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Crawley (District Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
TQ 26728 36603

Details

1. HIGH STREET 5403 (west side) The George Hotel TQ 2636 NE 5/33 21.6.48 II* 2. Late C15 or early C16 timber-framed Inn which underwent considerable extensions and alteration in the C18 and early C19. The front facing the High Street comprises 3 main sections, both of 2-storeys, but the northernmost part has a roof considerably lower than the southern section. The northern section which is probably C15 has modern half-timber work to the ground floor and painted tile hanging above. Old tiled roof. Two C18 canted bays with wooden glazing bars, one over the entrance, and one below the gable. Modern mullioned windows to ground floor. The ground floor rooms have ceilings exposed with massive beams and close set joists. C16 fireplace with 4 centred arch and carved panels of spandrel from above. The date 1615 carved on it appears to have been cut in recent times. King post roof in one bedroom. The middle section is of circa 1600 but altered in the C18. The lower storey is modern half-timber work, the first floor is tile hung. Two C18 sash windows with wooden glazing bars. The roof, covered with Horsham slabs, extends northward over the south end of the northern section. North gable end tile hung. Open fireplace with chimney beam in south wall of the lounge. Brick stack of this chimney has shaft set diagonally with capping (circa 1600) but enlarged on the south side when the south section of the Inn was built. The southern section is probably of late C17 to early C18 date. Two storeys stuccoed. Parapet. Two late C18 or early C19 sashes to upper storey, modern bay window to lower storey. Rowlandson's print (1789) shows 2 upper windows with mullion and transom and leaded panes in this section and roof with eaves. A large room running westward behind the southern section was built as an Assembly Room early in the C19 but has been much altered since the last war. The gallows sign spanning the road is a modern successor of one shown in Rowlandson's print. The heyday of the George was in the coaching period of the late C18 and early C19 when it was a hostelry of note on the Brighton Road. Its first known reference is in the will of Richard Covert (1580) (See Sussex Archaeological Collection XLVII p 134). In 1818 20,000 spectators watched the prize fight between Ned Turner and Jack Randall outside the George. It features in Conan Doyle's "Rodney Stone" as the Inn at which Belcher trained Boy Jim for his fight with Crab Wilson on Crawley Down.

Listing NGR: TQ2672836603

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
363355
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Sussex Archaeological Collection' in Sussex Archaeological Collection, , Vol. 67, (), 134

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 29 May 2000
Reference: IOE01/01823/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Daniel Eugenio. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].