GATWICK MANOR INN HYDERS HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1187103
Date first listed:
21-Jun-1948
Date of most recent amendment:
23-Feb-1983
Statutory Address:
GATWICK MANOR INN, LONDON ROAD
Statutory Address:
HYDERS HALL, LONDON ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of GATWICK MANOR INN
HYDERS HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187103.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 05:37:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
GATWICK MANOR INN, LONDON ROAD
Statutory Address:
HYDERS HALL, LONDON ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
West Sussex
District:
Crawley (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 27124 39332

Details

LONDON ROAD 1. 5403 (east side) Hyders Hall Gatwick Manor Inn (formerly listed as Hyders under Lowfield Heath) TQ 23 NE 3/61 21.6.48 II* 2. C15 open hall house altered circa 1600, 1700 and 1850. Formerly moated. Part of the moat still exists on the west side. Two bay open hall of which one bay remains with a cruciform crown post. (Extensions of 2 storeys red brick in English Bond tiled roof to south. North it retains its Horsham stone slabs. Massive central chimney-stacks. Three altered casements). At the west end the original panel and post partition with moulded bressumer remains in situ. A floor was inserted circa 1600 and a chimney constructed. At a later date the eastern portion of the hall and the rest of the range east of it were demolished and a stone wall built across the range a few feet east of the main truss dividing the hall. This wall of local Sussex stone has galleting in its joints. The main truss with massive cambered tie-beam, curved struts, crown post and 4 way struts to collar and central purlin remains in a bedroom above the ground floor room on the east side. Tie beam of western truss also exposed in west wall of bedroom. The ceiling in the ground floor room inserted circa 1700 has stop chamfered cross beams and joists. In the north wall towards the west end is a circa 1600 2 storey bay window with wood mullions, ovolo section, 4 lights wide, surmounted by a gable with mantled bargeboard and carved pendant. The original diamond mortices for the earlier tall hall window remain. The timber framing and plaster infilling of the south wall of the hall range can be seen from the passage behind the staircase. The 2 storey west end of the C15 range was taken down and rebuilt circa 1850 in red brick. About 1600 a 2 storey range with attics running east and west, was built parallel to the hall range a few feet to the south and linked to it at the west. Brick walls with stone mullioned windows. The 4 light window with transom and mullions of ovolo section in the upper storey of the east wall is original. The windows in the south wall are modern but the brickwork is original. Enough space was left between this range and the hall for a projecting staircase to be constructed on the north side circa 1600. This has turned balusters and newel posts with carved pendants and finials. The range is divided by a central chimney, giving 2 rooms to each floor. The 2 east rooms, ground and first floor, retain the original stone fireplaces with moulded jowls (double ogee) and head of circa 1600. Ceilings have exposed joists. In the west ground floor room are 2 moulded and stop chamfered ceiling beams. Oak chimney beam but fireplace bricked up. C20 additions east of hall range and west end of north side. A family De la Hyde and Atte Hyde occurs in documents of 1263, 1332 and 1378 (See Place - Names of Surrey). (See Joan M Harding, "Four Centuries of Charlwood Houses" p 46).

Listing NGR: TQ2712439332

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
363383
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Place names of Surrey
Harding, JM, Four Centuries of Charlwood Houses46

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2007
Reference: IOE01/16161/02
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Richard M. Brown. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].