SIR DAVID SALOMONS HOUSE WALL AND TERRACE TO SOUTH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1187131
Date first listed:
14-Mar-1973
Statutory Address:
SIR DAVID SALOMONS HOUSE WALL AND TERRACE TO SOUTH, SPELDHURST ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of SIR DAVID SALOMONS HOUSE WALL AND TERRACE TO SOUTH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187131.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 08-Dec-2019 at 01:49:24.

Location

Statutory Address:
SIR DAVID SALOMONS HOUSE WALL AND TERRACE TO SOUTH, SPELDHURST ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Kent
District:
Tunbridge Wells (District Authority)
Parish:
Southborough
National Grid Reference:
TQ 56836 41626

Details

SOUTHBOROUGH SPELDHURST ROAD (south side) 1/6 Sir David Salomons' house wall and terrace to south 14-3-73 (formerly Broomhill House) - II

Irregular and complex Italianate house begun in 1820s but with additions until 1913. Cottage originally extended by Decimus Burton, 1829 for Sir David Salomons (1797-1873), the Jewish Merchant Banker, Lord Mayor of London in 1855 and MP for Greenwich. Mainly 3 storeys of Tunbridge Wells ashlar blocks. East front: L-shaped with stone parapet and balustrade. Ground floor has recessed centre to south. Slate roof. Many stone chimney stacks, some pots concealed by semicircular caps like acroteria. Irregular fenestration on two and three storeys with some sashes and some casements. 2 colonnades of Tuscan columns forming balcony on 1st floor. Plain doorcase with rectangular overlight and linenfold panelled door. South front: Garden elevation also of 3 storeys with balustraded parapet, dated 1854. 3 casements with a cast iron balcony to the 2nd floor and balcony at 1st floor level supported by 14 Roman Corinthian columns and pilasters. West front: In similar style but with later additions to the left. 2 cast iron balconies on 2nd floor. Ionic portico. Former library projecting to left with round-headed windows flanked by Roman Corinthian half columns. To left of library is 1913 extension plus the late C19 theatre, white brick with row of 5 octagonal cupolas along ridge of roof. Rusticated terrace wall decorated with urns and a flight of stone steps front the house to the south. Interior: Entrance hall with marble steps and imposing open well staircase with scrolled tread ends and 1 spiral baluster to each tread. Spiral newel post and handrail decorated with carved ivy leaves. Gold Room, formerly sitting room, in Louis XVI style with fine decorated cornices, marble fireplace and decorated built-in cornice. room to left in same style with coved ceiling. These two rooms form the Memento Rooms, displaying objects belonging to Salomons and his son, and are open to the public. His son was an early technologist, among other things powering the house by electricity completely by 1884, including lighting, and holding the world's first motor show in the grounds in 1905. He built the theatre for the demonstration of machinery. It has cast iron columns and the original painted back-cloths together with a permanent stage set in Parliamentary Gothic-style remain. The most important relic is the electric organ, by Welte of Hamburg, in the theatre, the earliest and largest electric organ of its age in the world. It could be played mechanically by the insertion of rolls, a collection of which remains in the house.

Listing NGR: TQ5689041722

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
169341
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 01 Sep 1999
Reference: IOE01/00716/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Mrs Barbara Ingram-Monk. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].