COLLEGE HOUSE AND WESTBURY COLLEGE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1187175
Date first listed:
08-Jan-1959
Date of most recent amendment:
30-Dec-1994
Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE, COLLEGE ROAD
Statutory Address:
WESTBURY COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of COLLEGE HOUSE AND 
WESTBURY COLLEGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187175.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Feb-2020 at 14:05:35.

Location

Statutory Address:
COLLEGE HOUSE, COLLEGE ROAD
Statutory Address:
WESTBURY COLLEGE, COLLEGE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
City of Bristol (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Non Civil Parish
National Grid Reference:
ST5725177469

Details

BRISTOL

ST5777

901-1/26/2056

COLLEGE ROAD, Westbury On Trym

(North side)

08/01/59

Westbury College and College House

(Formerly Listed as: COLLEGE ROAD, Westbury On Trym, Westbury College)

I

College, now house. 1459-69. For John Carpenter, Bishop of Worcester and Westbury. Dismantled 1643, house built from ruins 1709. Red sandstone rubble, limestone ashlar dressings and concrete tile hipped roof. Square, single-depth plan gate tower, and attached screen wall forming the south side of the house. Four-stage ashlar gate tower has second-stage string, a drip below a crenellated parapet, and corner gargoyles; square ground-floor recess contains a two-centred arched carriage entrance with C20 infill; paired first- and second-stage Tudor-arched windows with label moulds, and C20 sash window in a square recess to the third floor. In the rear elevation are infilled one-, two- and three-light Tudor-arched windows, some with label moulds. Rubble screen wall to the left incorporates fragments of arches, and has two small inserted chamfered first-floor windows, and a pointed-arched doorway to the left with hollow chamfered reveals; on the left-hand corner is a projecting round stair turret with slit windows and a conical ashlar roof which curves up to a finial. Behind the screen wall is the C18 two-storey house with C20 sash windows.

INTERIOR: the gate tower has two sexpartite vaulted bays with bosses to the entrance passage at the base, and a winder stair to the roof. Few original details survive in the completely modernised house.

HISTORICAL NOTE: the college housed the Canons from Westbury Collegiate church, and was planned on the quadrangular system adopted in contemporary Oxford; it had originally four corner turrets, of which one other survives to Trym Road (qv). William Canynges, who paid for much of the C15 work on St Mary Redcliffe (qv) was Dean at the College after he became ordained, and may have contributed to its rebuilding. The College forms an important group with the collegiate Church of the Holy Trinity, Church Road (qv).

This entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 11 May 2018.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
379328
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Gomme, A H, Jenner, M, Little, B D G, Bristol, An Architectural History, (1979), 68

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00375/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Cyril N. Chapman. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].