BRIDGWATER HOSPITAL (CENTRE BLOCK ONLY)

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II
List Entry Number:
1187299
Date first listed:
16-Dec-1974
Statutory Address:
BRIDGWATER HOSPITAL (CENTRE BLOCK ONLY), SALMON PARADE

Map

Ordnance survey map of BRIDGWATER HOSPITAL (CENTRE BLOCK ONLY)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187299 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2019 at 04:01:55.

Location

Statutory Address:
BRIDGWATER HOSPITAL (CENTRE BLOCK ONLY), SALMON PARADE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Somerset
District:
Sedgemoor (District Authority)
Parish:
Bridgwater
National Grid Reference:
ST 30156 37009

Details

BRIDGWATER

ST3037 SALMON PARADE 736-1/6/159 (East side) 16/12/74 Bridgwater Hospital (centre block only)

GV II

Hospital. 1813, refronted 1876. Flemish-bond brick with stone parapet, cornices, quoins, architraves, porch and plinth. Rectangular plan with later additions. 3 storeys; 6-window range. Horned 2/2-pane sash windows. A central block with cornice has BRIDGWATER INFIRMARY in raised letters flanked by a parapet balustrade of open circles; the dentilled cornice below it is returned to the sides; windows to the second floor are set in eared and shouldered architraves above a cill block with SUPPORTED BY VOLUNTARY CONTRIBUTIONS below the central 4 windows and continued as a cill band returned at the quoins. The first floor has moulded cornices to shouldered architraves; the ground floor has segmental arches and moulded keystones to eared and shouldered architraves which reach the plinth and have aprons with recessed panels between cill and plinth. To right of centre is a Doric porch with triglyph frieze, paired columns to the front and pilasters to the rear; the cornice is continued as a moulded string course returned at the quoins. Above the porch is a single-storey glazed room, probably c1920, with a pediment to the gable which cuts into a former architrave. To the inside left is a late C19 canted bay with a dentilled cornice and to far left is an architrave to a former door, now a C20 window. INTERIOR: the entrance hall has a fine c1876 staircase, open-well, open string with a swept rail and cast-iron balusters. Some semicircular arches, moulded architraves to doors, parts of a cornice, one window to the rear with panelled shutters to a splayed architrave and a 6-panel door remain. History: In 1813 a public meeting decided that a medical institution be established "for the relief of the labouring poor requiring medical and surgical assistance". In 1820 it was agreed to purchase "a spacious house and garden" in Salmon Lane for »700. The infirmary was then supported by voluntary contributions. Alterations and additions were made in 1862, the adjoining house to the left was later purchased for »205, and additions were again made in 1876 and 1895. A photograph of 1865 shows the original early C19 houses. (Buildings of England: Pevsner N: South and West Somerset: London: 1958-: 99; Somerset: London: 1910-: 138; VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 228).

Listing NGR: ST3015637009

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
374002
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 228
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: South and West Somerset, (1958), 99
'Kellys Directory' in Somerset, (1910), 138

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 24 Nov 2002
Reference: IOE01/08082/20
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Forrest. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].