Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187392.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2021 at 03:43:17.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Sedgemoor (District Authority)
National Park:
National Grid Reference:
ST 30041 37103



ST3037 TOWN BRIDGE 736-1/6/193 Town Bridge 16/12/74


Town bridge. Dated 1883. By R C Else and G B Laffan and made by George Moss of Liverpool. Rough ashlar limestone abutments, Ham Hill stone piers, steel girders with cast-iron railings, lamps and plaques. 7 segmental arches with diagonal trellised spandrels support the single span road bridge with tarmac suface flanked by pavements. To the centre of the outside arches plaques with the town crest and the inscription "Erected 1883. W T Holland, Mayor." The rectangular-section piers to each corner have recessed panels and moulded cornices to shallow-pitched tops. 12 sections of railings between the piers and 2 sections curving away to the sides are articulated by cast-iron columns with a spiral moulding. The railings are joined in pairs by semicircular arches, reversed to the base, which are linked to the handrail and plinth, each pair is linked at impost level, and by a central horizontal rail with spikes above and below, to the centre of each pair. The 4 columns at the extremities are octagonal with recessed panels and pyramidal tops. On the piers are C20 restored cast-iron lamps, and the central columns of the railings have bases to former lamps. The original stone bridge was replaced by one cast in Coalbrookdale in 1797, which was replaced by the present structure. (VCH: Somerset: London: 1992-: 195).

Listing NGR: ST3004137103


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Dunning, R W, The Victoria History of the County of Somerset, (1992), 195


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 25 Feb 2002
Reference: IOE01/02487/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Bjergfelt. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].