This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1187592



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: The City of Brighton and Hove

District Type: Unitary Authority


National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 24-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Nov-1992

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 365637

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



TQ2905SW THE DRIVE 579-1/15/120 (East side) 24/03/50 Church of All Saints


Parish church. Nave and aisles 1889-91, East end completed 1901, base of tower and narthex completed 1924. Architect J.L.Pearson, work continued after his death in 1897 by his son Frank Pearson. C13 French Gothic style. Sussex sandstone, slate roofs, coped verges. Plan: chancel with north-east and south-east chapels, north vestry, north and south transepts which are continuations of the aisles, 5-bay aisled nave, narthex and base of south-west tower. Interior: ashlar stone. Arcade of clustered columns with pointed arches in C13 style, stone ribs to roof rising between clerestory windows, wooden open rafter roof to nave, monopitch roofs to aisles, stone vaults to west end bays, 3-tiers of windbracing to chancel. Chancel: reredos carved by Nathaniel Hitch, as were 5 seats in north wall and sedilia in south wall. Brass altar rails. Highly ornate choir stalls carved with figures, donated 1915. Finely carved wooden screen with canopy between south chapel and south transept, given in memory of those who died in the First World War. Wrought-iron screen to north chapel dating from 1940s. Sumptuous organ case designed by Frank Pearson and built 1915, organ 1905 by William Hill and Son. Octagonal marble font, ornate cover with pulley dated 1928. Brass eagle lectern. Fine stained glass by Clayton and Bell, all designed by Clement Bell, 3 east windows, large west window, rose window to north transept, and elsewhere in the aisles. There is said to be a statue of the founder and first incumbent, the Rev Thomas Peacey in the south-west corner of the second stage of the tower; Peacey had earlier commissioned Pearson to build St Barnabus, Byron St (qv). The tower was never completed. All Saints became the parish church of Hove in 1892. A magnificent interior. (Dale A: Brighton Churches: 1989-).

Listing NGR: TQ2917805016

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 5 December 2016.

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dale, A , Brighton Churches, (1989)
War Memorials Register, accessed 05/12/2016 from

National Grid Reference: TQ 29180 05020


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187592 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Sep-2017 at 04:23:47.

End of official listing