Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187807.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Mar-2021 at 12:04:20.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
SP 20055 55113



SP2055SW HENLEY STREET 604-1/8/111 (North East side) 25/10/51 Shakespeare's Birthplace


Town house, now museum. Late C15 and late C16, severely restored 1858, following drawing of 1769. Timber-frame and with plaster infill; rubble plinth; tile roof with rubble stacks. 4-unit plan. 2 storeys with attic; 4-window range. The facade to the right half is mostly C19 replacing c1800 brick refronting. 3 entrances with wide-boarded doors, a pair to left end have pentice continued over flanking windows and with central gablet; entrance to right end unit. Wood-mullioned projecting windows, mostly C19: ground floor has 1:3:1-light bay window and 4-light windows; 1st floor has two 4-light windows with 3-light window to left end and 1:3:1-light oriel with hipped roof and moulded base to right end; attic has 2 gabled dormers with 4-light windows and gable to right end with 3-light window; all windows with leaded glazing, 1st-floor window to left of centre has plastic protective screen. Small panel of exposed wattle to left of centre. End stack and stack to rear wing. Rear has gabled wing with similar details. INTERIOR: stop-chamfered beams and original timber-framing; signs of through-passage to right end bay; back-to-back fireplaces with stop-chamfered Tudor-arched bressumers; left end originally separate, with fireplace with bressumer and timber-framed smoke hood with winding stair to side. C20 stair to right of centre; 1st floor has exposed roof trusses and wind braces to right end; birth room to left of centre has ceiling, window inscribed with names of visitors including famous people eg Sir Walter Scott, signatures to walls and ceiling now covered with whitewash. Rear wing has kitchen with large fireplace and battened door; 1st floor has tie-beam and collar truss, the tie cut for round-headed doorway. HISTORICAL NOTE: William Shakespeare born here April 23, 1564. His father John lived here c1551-1601, the right end unit probably being his wool shop. The house passed to the Hart family, descended from Shakespeare's sister, until 1794, and was a tourist attraction from the 1740s or before. It was bought by the Shakespeare Birthplace Committee for preservation as a national monument in 1847. A museum in care of the Birthplace Trust. (VCH (offprint): Styles P: The Borough of Stratford-upon-Avon and the Parish of Alveston: London: 1946-: 15; Fogg N: Stratford-upon-Avon: Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-: 104-6, 119, 133, 145; Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Warwickshire: London: 1966-: 417; Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 37).

Listing NGR: SP2003955142


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 37
Fogg, N, Stratford Upon Avon Portrait of a Town, (1986)
Fogg, N, Stratford Upon Avon Portrait of a Town, (1986), 133 145
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 417
Styles, P, The Borough of Stratford Upon Avon and the Parish of Alveston, (1946), 15


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 07 May 2005
Reference: IOE01/14259/35
Rights: Copyright IoE Helmut Schulenburg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].