Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1187814

Date first listed: 25-Oct-1951

Statutory Address: GARRICK INN, 25, HIGH STREET


Ordnance survey map of GARRICK INN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1187814 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 09:36:45.


Statutory Address: GARRICK INN, 25, HIGH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Warwickshire

District: Stratford-on-Avon (District Authority)

Parish: Stratford-upon-Avon

National Grid Reference: SP 20107 54876


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



SP2054NW HIGH STREET 604-1/10/122 (West side) 25/10/51 No.25 Garrick Inn


Public house. c1596; facade heavily restored c1912, replacing c1800 brick front. Timber-frame with plaster infill; tile roof with rear brick stacks. 3 storeys; symmetrical 2-window range. 1st and 2nd floors jettied on brackets, moulded bressumer to 2nd floor; two C20 gables to attic with enriched barge-boards. Entrance to left end has stained-glass overlight to plank door. Ground and 1st floors have 3-light wooden mullioned and transomed windows, those to ground floor with continuous row of small square lights above; attic has 2-light windows; all with leaded glazing. Upper floors have square framing with concave-sided diamonds. Early C20 bracketed timber sign board. Rear wing with cross-axial stack. INTERIOR: exposed timber-framing and beams. HISTORICAL NOTE: said to have been the place where the plague of 1564 started and to have been an inn from 1718; name changed from the Greyhound to the Garrick in 1795, in honour of David Garrick, who did much for the town's tourist trade by his encouragement of enthusiasm for Shakespeare. (Bearman R: Stratford-upon-Avon: A History of its Streets and Buildings: Nelson: 1988-: 40; Fogg N: Stratford-upon-Avon: Portrait of a Town: Chichester: 1986-: 16, 100; Forrest H E: The Old Houses of Stratford-upon-Avon: London: 1925-: 72).

Listing NGR: SP2010754876


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 366288

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Bearman, R, Stratford Upon Avon A History of its streets and buildings, (1988), 40
Fogg, N, Stratford Upon Avon Portrait of a Town, (1986), 16
Forrest, H E, The Old Houses of Stratford upon Avon, (1925), 72

End of official listing