CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1188033

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1954

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188033 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2019 at 02:58:56.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Tandridge (District Authority)

Parish: Warlingham

National Grid Reference: TQ 35578 58960

Details

TQ 35NE CATERHAM & WARLINGHAM CHURCH ROAD, FORMER URBAN DISTRICT WARLINGHAM 3/15 Church of All Saints 21.9.54 II*

Church. 1250, restored in 1857 by G. Scott and in 1887 by P.M. Johnston; south aisle and bellchamber added in 1893. Flint rubble with stone dressings, rendered on east end and north wall; plain tiled roof with tile hung bellchamber above under gilt and iron weathervane. Nave including baptistry to west, south porch and aisle with chancel to east and vestry addition to north. C13 and renewed lancet windows to north, one 2-light perpendicular window on north and south walls. C14 east window renewed by J.O. Scott. Gabled wooden porch with cusped bargeboards, original stone door surround of south door rebuilt in restoration.

Interior: 5 bay south aisle arcade on compound piers of quatrofoil section. Restored single space nave and chancel with chancel floor lower by c6 inches. Tie beam roof one beam with billet decoration in chancel. Fittings: Trefoil arched piscina and sedelia on south chancel wall, further piscina opposite to north. Octagonal C15 stone font on central stem with sunk quatrofoil panels to sides. Wall painting: St. Christopher carrying Christ. C16 on north nave wall. Monuments: North chancel wall. Dedicated to Elizabeth Tyler 1772. Grey and white stone, fluted pilaster strips to sides of rectangular panel, draped oval urn above; shield and foliage in apron below. South window in east bay of nave contains stained glass depicting the presentation of the first English Prayer Book to King Edward VI by Archbishop Cranmer, commemorating the legend that the book was read for the first time by Cranmer in this church.

Listing NGR: TQ3557858960

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 287670

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing