This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1188178



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Hinckley and Bosworth

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Shackerstone

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Jan-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 10-Aug-1989

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 188219

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 28/09/2012



(Formerly listed as Help Out Mill and Mill House)


Mill, house and granary. Early C19 with granary dated 1912. Red brick, slate roofs, and brick end stacks to house. Water powered corn mill with house attached to left and attached granary set back to right. House: 3 storeys. Regular 3-window front; glazing bar sashes with wedge-shaped lintels and key blocks. Central door with fanlight within a round-arched recess. Granary: 4 storeys, 2 bays; glazing bar casements with segmental heads; round windows to first floor. Datestone at first floor level inscribed "E.T.T./1912". Interior: Plain staircase immediately in front of entrance to house with cast iron balustrade. The mill wheel was replaced by a water turbine in 1902, but the rest of the machinery survives in situ. B.O.E. p.341. To the right of the house is the mill building; brick, Welsh slate gable-end roof; 4 storeys (the upper floor added to accommodate machinery installed in 1902)1 symmetrical 3-window range. All windows with flat arches (the originals with keyblocks), and 12 panes (except 1st floor centre which has 20). Former taking-in door to 2nd floor now blocked. Above the door is a stone inscribed 'E.T.' (Elijah Timms) and beneath this some inserted bricks are inscribed 'TURBINE ERECTED/ AUGUST 1902'. To the right of this and set well back is the granary and engine house, mostly of 1902 (but incorporating some earlier work); brick, Welsh slate roof; 4 storeys. 2-window range, with 18-pane windows under segmental arches to ground, 2nd and 3rd floors, and small roundels to 1st. Lean-to porch to left. Datestone at 1st floor level inscribed 'E.T.T./1912'. Side elevation (facing former branch of Ashby and Nuneaton joint railway) with 1st floor roundel windows, various other openings and a timber-clad, gabled joist head to top floor. Detached office building to rear. Interior: Of the original water- wheel mechanism, the drive and gearing survives along with 2 of the original 3 stones. The importance of the site lies in the 1902 roller-mill machinery which survives intact (and its association with the substantial remains of the earlier water powered machinery). The roller mills are on the 1st floor. Ground floor: bases of 5 elevators with outlet ducts from the roller mills, inlets from the 1st floor hopper, and associated pulleys for belt drives. 7 sack filling chutes (shaft and spur gearing for water powered system also survives on this floor). lst floor: the 5 roller mills are divided from the rear part of the building (which contains the millstones) by a timber-framed partition. Roller mills made by E R and F Turner Ltd of Ipswich. They are complete with attendant belts and conveyors. 2nd floor: grain hoppers and sack hoist flaps, with 6 elevators and pulleys. A number of specialised machines also survive on this floor all associated with the roller mill cycle, namely 2 centrifugal dressers and various scalpers and sifters. 3rd floor: contains the tops of the elevators with access to the hoppers below. Roller mill air suction fan and extractor. Also several other machines, namely 4 dressers of different types, an oat clipper and a cockle cylinder. The details of the machinery are given in the Bulletin of the Leicestershire Industrial Society, No 6 (1983). The survival of a roller mill with all its fittings in such a complete state is extremely rare especially when it appears with the earliest system of water-powered grinding stones. An intermediate power system (steam engine from c.1860) has left minor traces.

Listing NGR: SK3791507811

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Williamson, E, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1984), 341
'Bulletin of the Leicestershire Industrial Society' in Bulletin of the Leicestershire Industrial Society, , Vol. 6, (1983)

National Grid Reference: SK 37915 07811


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188178 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2017 at 09:34:34.

End of official listing