CHURCH OF ST WISTAN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1188263

Date first listed: 29-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 23-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WISTAN

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST WISTAN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188263 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Mar-2019 at 02:20:00.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST WISTAN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Leicestershire

District: Harborough (District Authority)

Parish: Wistow

National Grid Reference: SP 64370 95980

Details

WISTOW Church of St. Wistan (formerly SP 69 NW 2/116 29.12.66 listed as Church of St. Winstan) GV II * Church. C12 - C15, remodelled 1746, renovation 1815, and mid C19. Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings and Swithland slate and aluminium roofs, with low parapet. W Tower, nave and chancel under 1 roof, N vestry and vault, N transept and S porch. C15 tower of 3 stages with plinth, buttresses and diagonal buttresses with set-offs. SW stairs, 2-light window with C19 stained glass, 4 2-light bell openings and battlements. Double chamfered nave arch, the inner on stone corbels. N vestry and vault with leaded Gothick window and blocked windows and doorway. c1300 N transept, now Halford chapel. Blocked N window with Y tracery. 2 E windows of 1746 with semicircular arches and leaded lights. Mainly C15 chancel. Small blocked N windows and blocked N doorway. Large E window of 1746. Semicircular arch and leaded lights. 3 similar S windows to nave and chancel. Blocked S doorway with chevron moulded rounded arch. Small mid C19 S porch with Gothic archway. Fine mid C18 interior with box pews and hexagonal pulpit. Wrought-iron communion rails of c1730 and Halford chapel gates of later C18 (similar in design to staircase balustrade at Wistow Hall, q.v.). Carved wooden reredos with urn-topped pilasters and pediment is painted with Commandments, Lord's Prayer and Creed. C18 stone vase font. Fine series of wall monuments including those to Sir Richard Halford (d.1658, with alabaster effigy), Sir William Halford (d.1695), Sir William Halford (d.1768), Sir Charles Halford (d.1780) and 3 by Richard Westmacott, Jnr., to Sir Henry Halford (d.1844), his wife Elizabeth (d.1833) and Sir John Vaughan (d.1839). Rainwater heads inscribed 'HH 1815'. Pevsner and V.C.H., Vol.V

Listing NGR: SP6437095980

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 191139

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Leicester, (1964)
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland, (1960)

End of official listing