TQ 35SE GODSTONE C.P. CHURCH LANE
6/63 Church of St Nicholas
Church C13 and C14, north aisle added in 1845 south aisle added in
restoration of 1872/3 by Sir G.G.'Scott. Dressed stone with ashlar
dressings, timber porch, plain tiled roof with cedar shingled tower
and bellcot under broach spire. Aisled nave with chancel and chancel
chapels to east, three stage tower to each with porch to south and
vestry to north. Double lancet windows in first stage of tower with
clock face on all sides above. Remainder of windows: restorations in C14
style on south side, lancets to north, with hood mould over north
chancel window ending with gargoyle stops. West door in two step round
arch surround with zigzag decoration. South door with similar decoration
in gabled, carved, bargeboard porch.
Interior: four bay nave arcade on octagonal columns with moulded capitals;
hood moulds to arches with human head stops. Early C15 timber tie beams
to restored roof. Corbelled Victorian chancel arch with pier capitals
containing carved, praying angels. Two bay chancel with chamfered arch
to south chapel, and two bay arcade to north chancel chapel. South
chancel chapel marble inlaid with geometric patterned floor; ribbed
and painted vaulted ceiling with central round pendant and crown carvings.
Blue and red enamelled wrought iron screen to west side of chapel with
two centre standards, circa 6ft high, arcaded on either side with fleur-de-
East window stained glass by Ward and Hughes circa 1865.
Fittings: Octagonal, stone, Perpendicular font with painted quatrefoil
panels to sides on arcaded square stem. Late C19 wooden pulpit with
lattice pattern decoration. Fretwork organ casing to west side of north
chancel chapel. Double arched sedelia to south chancel wall. Mosiac
stone and marble reredos.
Monuments: North chancel chapel (Evelyn chapel). North wall: aedicular
wall monument to Francis Granville died 1719. Marble with arched, inscribed;
centre panel, moulded edges and keystone above; palm fronds in spandrels.
Crowning segmental pediment with flanking, free standing, fluted, Corinthian
columns on plinth. Volute scrolls and apron below. Chest tomb at centre
of chapel: to Sir John and Dame Thomasine Evelyn, died 1641. Grey and
white marble with grey corner piers, panelled sides and black inscription
panel. White, lifesize, recumbant effigies on black lid, Sir John in
armour with griffin at his feet, his wife at his side.
North chancel chapel wall: to Jacob Evelyn, died 1795. Grey obelisk with
draped mourning female figure. By John Bingley of London.
South wall of north chancel chapel: Edward Evelyn died 1757. Aedicular
grey and white stone flanking scroll, triangular pediment above, central
supporting bracket below.
North chancel wall: Sarah Smith died 1794. Grey and white stone, inscribed
plinth with fan apron below. Oval garlanded urn above. By John Bacon RA.
South chancel wall: to George Evelyn died 1770. Dun coloured marble ground,
white, egg-shaped, central inscribed panel, white plinth and grey apron
below on scroll support. Broken pediment above with cartouche coat of arms.
South chancel chapel: Barbara St Claire Macleay, died 1869. White recumbant
life size effigy by F. Summers.
PEVSNER: Buildings of England: Surrey (1971) page 260.
GODSTONE EXPLORED: Guide by Tandridge Council 1977.
GODSTONE: A SHORT HISTORY: by Uvedale Lambert 1982.
Listing NGR: TQ3572551509