Church of St James


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St James, Church Street, Weybridge, KT13 8DN


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1188363.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Feb-2021 at 10:30:00.


Statutory Address:
Church of St James, Church Street, Weybridge, KT13 8DN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Elmbridge (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 07221 64736


TQ 06 SE 4/85



GV II* Church. 1848 with additional aisle to south of 1864 by J.L. Pearson. Coursed rubble stone with stone dressings, plain tiled roof with stone gable copings and crosses. Stone broach spire with iron weathervane. Decorated style, two stage, to west nave with aisles, two to south, north porch and chancel to east. Gargoyles to first stage of tower, clock faces to east and west sides. Decorated tracery to windows.

Interior: tiled floor with five bay nave arcades on round piers. Quatrefoil patterned clerestory windows above. Principal roof rafters on carved angel supports.

Fittings: polychrome marbles to chancel, over 20 types used, rich gold and red mosaics to chancel walls. Double Piscina to south chancel wall with red marble base, similar red marble seats to sedelia. Very rich high altar with marble reredos under crocketed finials depicting scenes from the life of Christ. Marble dado screen across chancel arch. Carved wooden pulpit, octagonal stone Decorated font. South aisle chapel: wooden reredos on black and white stone floor to east altar.

Monuments: west tower wall (south). Brass to John Woulde. Died 1598. Standing figure with wives to either side in profile, crests above. Mary Gwyn. Died 1840. Grey ground, white stone rectangle with volute scrolls to sides, supporting a cornice band with crucifix, corn stalk and chalice to top.

Frederica, Duchess of York by F. Chantrey in 1823. Grey ground obelisk, stone stele with segmental pediment above, circlet of stars to obelisk shaft, kneeling female figure in profile below, crown at her feet. Inscription and all brackets below with decorative band. Hannah Hancock. Died 1805. Grey stone ground with pediment and acroteria. Semi-circular niche with flower carving over open, inscribed, book.

Tower wall (north): Lydia Maplesloft. Died 1765. Black and grey marble obelisk on plinth with inset white stone inscription in copper plate. White stone urn and cartouche above, all on brackets. Thomas Hapson. Died 1717. Grey stone ground on gadrooned apron with cherub's head entablature and broken segmental pediment above. Central cartouche. White stone inscription breaking forward to centre. George Mangles 1810. Grey ground, white stone inscribed plinth, chest tomb above. Fluted to ends, triangle with suns above. C15 brasses- three skeletons 2 feet high with texts between, head missing on left hand figure. Brass to Humphrey Athick. Died 1642. Rectangle with coat of arms. Brass to Thomas Inwood. 1586. Five kneeling figures, wives to left, children accompanying them.

Listing NGR: TQ0722164736


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/01480/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Felton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].